vb:literal>

Thread: Personal productsfor wounded servicemembers

Default Personal productsfor wounded servicemembers

As retired members of the US Army, RULOST2? and I will always feel an attachment to the military. I post this here in hope that some of our geocaching friends can help.

(Message taken from Stars & Stripes, Nov 30, 2006)

Officials at Walter Reed Army Medical Center are seeking donations for wounded troops who are forced to leave behind personal belongings when medically evacuated from war zones.

Many of the troops “arrive with nothing,” said officials from the hospital’s Family Assistance Center. Because of the speed with which the most serious wounded are evacuated from Iraq or Afghanistan, their belongings are often left behind and don’t catch up.

So the center is looking for everything from shoes, gloves and winter jackets to postage stamps, prepaid phone cards and razors.

The Family Assistance Center requests that no cash or used items be donated. Among some of the more specialized needs are weightlifting gloves (for use by wheelchair patients); trousers with snaps or zips along the legs; umbrellas; and prepaid gas or grocery cards.

The center also helps patients file claims for personal belongings that were left behind during a medical evacuation. Loss or damage to items can be reimbursed through the system.

Donations can be sent to:

Walter Reed Army Medical Center
    Medical Family Assistance Center
    Bldg. 2, 3rd Floor, Room 3E01
    6900 Georgia Ave, N.W.
    Washington, D.C. 2001

More information on the donation programs and the medical center can be found at: http://wramc.army.mil/Soldiers/MedFac1/index2.htm

Default Donations for the troops

If anyone is willing to bring items to the event in Lewiston on Dec 13 I will box and ship the items.
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Quote Originally Posted by pjpreb View Post
    If anyone is willing to bring items to the event in Lewiston on Dec 13 I will box and ship the items.
    Well, I can't make the event in Lewiston, but if anyone wants to donate I'll be at the Skowhegan and Augusta events, and will ship anything donated.

I'm not actively soliciting donations, just wanted to make my caching associates aware of this need. But if anyone does chose to donate, I'm willing to do the shipping.

And I definitely don't want to detract from FlowrLady's charitable event. If you have to choose, pick hers! LOL!