Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Free wi-fi spots in Unity

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default Free wi-fi spots in Unity

    At this morning's benefit breakfast I learned something that may be of some use to us geocachers.

    In Unity there are four free wi-fi hotspots that you can take advantage of if you're in the area.

    93 Main St. -- Friends of the Unity Wetlands
    Depot St -- Barnraisers Building
    Depot St. -- Crosstrax Cafe
    Depot St. -- The Unity Theatre

    Just thought this might be of some use to some folks.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    At this morning's benefit breakfast I learned something that may be of some use to us geocachers.

    In Unity there are four free wi-fi hotspots that you can take advantage of if you're in the area.

    93 Main St. -- Friends of the Unity Wetlands
    Depot St -- Barnraisers Building
    Depot St. -- Crosstrax Cafe
    Depot St. -- The Unity Theatre

    Just thought this might be of some use to some folks.
    Once upon a time, someone was compiling a list of free wifi spots for cachers to use when traveling....not sure what ever happened with that. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cameoooooo View Post
    Once upon a time, someone was compiling a list of free wifi spots for cachers to use when traveling....not sure what ever happened with that. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
    Since nobody has offered any new wifi hotspots - with the data needed to add it to the data base - it hasn't changed.

    People are perfectly willing to say "In Unity there are four free wi-fi hotspots that you can take advantage of if you're in the area.

    93 Main St. -- Friends of the Unity Wetlands
    Depot St -- Barnraisers Building
    Depot St. -- Crosstrax Cafe
    Depot St. -- The Unity Theatre"

    But I can't add it to the database unless I have the following info:

    Name (Barnrasier's Building)
    Town (Unity)
    Location (123 Depot St.)
    Coordinates

    The database is a .gpx file that you can load into GSAK and onto your maps. Without the above information, I can't add the hotspot. (This has been brought up a couple of times in the past, but I can't find the thread right off...)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Since nobody has offered any new wifi hotspots - with the data needed to add it to the data base - it hasn't changed.

    People are perfectly willing to say "In Unity there are four free wi-fi hotspots that you can take advantage of if you're in the area.

    93 Main St. -- Friends of the Unity Wetlands
    Depot St -- Barnraisers Building
    Depot St. -- Crosstrax Cafe
    Depot St. -- The Unity Theatre"

    But I can't add it to the database unless I have the following info:

    Name (Barnrasier's Building)
    Town (Unity)
    Location (123 Depot St.)
    Coordinates

    The database is a .gpx file that you can load into GSAK and onto your maps. Without the above information, I can't add the hotspot. (This has been brought up a couple of times in the past, but I can't find the thread right off...)

    I didn't realize this info would be helpful (on my part all I can say is "D'uh, I guess it would be useful to have the coords to these places when you have a GPSr!" ) I'll get the coords and address and get back to you with the info so you can add it to your database.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    I didn't realize this info would be helpful (on my part all I can say is "D'uh, I guess it would be useful to have the coords to these places when you have a GPSr!" ) I'll get the coords and address and get back to you with the info so you can add it to your database.
    Do a search on threads containing WiFi and you'll see mention of a lot of places with WiFi access. And if you want to find your own places (not necessarily free, public access), I've recommended the NetStumbler program in the past.)

    (And do a Google search on WarDriving to learn more about "wifi snooping")

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Well needless to say this is a busy time of year . . . I mean I haven't even been able to do any caching for weeks, but I did manage to get the info for Bruce . . . and for anyone else who is interested.


    Here's some of the free wi-fi spots in Unity.

    Name: Cross Trax Cafe (cafe located across from the RR station)
    Town: Unity
    Location: 215 Depot Street
    Wi-fi "Name": CrossTracks
    Coords: N 44.36.887, W 069.19.317


    Name: Friends of the Unity Wetlands (small office near lt at town center)
    Town: Unity
    Location: 93 Main St.
    Wi-fi "Name": Linksys
    Coords: N 44.36.656, W 069.20.066


    Name: Unity Barnraisers (brick building near vet office/across from RR)
    Town: Unity
    Location: Depot St.
    Wi-fi "Name": UBR
    Coords: N 44.36.875, W 069.19.367


    Unity Centre for the Performing Arts (next to Clifford Commons)
    Town: Unity
    Location: 42 Depot St.
    Wi-fi "Name": T1-AR7WRD
    Coords: N 44.36.818, W 069.19.810


    Belfast and Moosehead Lake RR (you can't miss it!)
    Town: Unity
    Location: 212 Depot St.
    Wi-fi "Name": Mooserail
    Coords: N 44.36.907, W 069.19.333
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    Thank you Jake! Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Well needless to say this is a busy time of year . . . I mean I haven't even been able to do any caching for weeks, but I did manage to get the info for Bruce . . . and for anyone else who is interested.


    Here's some of the free wi-fi spots in Unity.
    Thanks, Jake. Exactly what I need.

    If anyone else has wifi hotspots, please post them here in the same format.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •