vb:literal>

Thread: What maps to get?

Hybrid View

Default What maps to get?

I would like some mapping software either for my Palm zire 71 or maps for my Garmin and am undecided which way to go. I know there are a lot of Garmin owners in here more than Magellan owners so I will ask all you guys what you think I should go with. The choice is very confusing so what are your thoughts? And oh yeah I have the Vista so I have approximately 24 megs of memory available I think. I would like autorouting so would this be possible with the Palm cause I know the Vista doesnt have it,only the new C series Vista? Anything else I need to know? Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by Haffy; 12-03-2004 at 04:17 PM.

I have a Zire 71 and a Garmin eTrex. I bought Delorme Street Atlas Handheld, then found that I really needed the PC version as well to really make it work. I also like their Topo USA - estecially for printed maps.

I have the eTrex and the Zire hooked together in the car, so qw can see the maps as I'm traveling. RULOST2? keeps an eye on the PDA (when she's not asleep). You need LOTS of memory on the PDA though - the maps take up a lot of space.

The PDA is great on trips 'cause we can see caches coming up. We picked up several find on recent trips just because they showed up on the map as we were traveling.

Default Maps?

I also have DeLorme SA Handheld. I wish I too had bought the full version. I really enjoy the way I've learned to put caches in as waypoints so the are on your route du juor. Memery for the Zire is wicked cheap right now. I just picked up a 512 meg SD card for 29 bucks. I put all of Maine ,NH,VT, and part of Mass on a 128 meg card and had space left over. If you load all the states your traveling to on card it works seamlessly. Call me John if you'd like to get together sometime and I'll show you.

I have a Zire also with a 256 Meg card in it. Just like Bruce I also have it connected to my eTrex Legend when I am in the car to see the maps where we are traveling and see where I am on the map. When connected to my eTrex it turns my Zire into a GPS. I am using only Topo. I have the whole state of Maine on the memory card with tons of space left over. I like using Topo because I think it is more detailed. It shows more secondary roads then Street Atlas does. The only thing you have to do before you save your map in Topo if you don't want a big map file is to go into the Map Display and take the check marks out of some of the extra things that you don't need. For example Contour lines take up a lot of memory and you really don't need them.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957
    I also have DeLorme SA Handheld. I wish I too had bought the full version. I really enjoy the way I've learned to put caches in as waypoints so the are on your route du juor. Memery for the Zire is wicked cheap right now. I just picked up a 512 meg SD card for 29 bucks. I put all of Maine ,NH,VT, and part of Mass on a 128 meg card and had space left over. If you load all the states your traveling to on card it works seamlessly. Call me John if you'd like to get together sometime and I'll show you.
    If you guys get together let me know - I could use some different perspectives as well.

And where'd you get the 512 MB card for $29? WalMart has 128 mb cards for $15 and I thought that was great.

Default Deals

On black Friday we went to Circuit City and they had them for $49 with a $10 instant and a $10 mail in rebate. Staples had them also. For that price I should have bought two. My PDA and my digital camera both use them. I had bought 128's at Wally world and paid around $40 at the time. So $29 for 512 was an increadable deal. Yes I would like to get together with you two sometime soon. I still need to get to Waterville and clean up some in that town. What is anyone doing tomorrow? Let me know,OK

Default Now I have the SD card,now what?

I noticed that Rick and Bruce and Maniac have the Delorme street Atlas but what else should I be aware of? I bought a 1 gig SD card on Ebay for 48 bux so I have enough memory I hope. Some have said they wished they had gotten the full version for PC ,so does that include the handheld version too? Or can you download to the handheld from the PC version? I'm so confused How about any of you out there who have Metro guide for the Garmin specifically. Which way to go,which way to go........

You've gotta have the PDA version to start with, but you can download data (maps, waypoints) from the PC version of Street Atlas or TOPO USA to the handheld version on your PDA.

And you've got a 1 gig SD card??? Sheesh! You can put maps of the entire country on the PDA!
    Last edited by WhereRWe?; 12-16-2004 at 03:57 PM.