vb:literal>

Thread: A Really, Truly, Ultimate Travel Bug

Default A Really, Truly, Ultimate Travel Bug

"Trains, boats and planes (almost)" is an excellent cache in Wells. I showed it to my wife - a sometime caching associate, and also explained Travel Bugs to her, as well as sharing how much Rick & I (the other Reprobate) enjoyed watching the train - The Downeaster. My wife had a great suggestion, but I need some help making it a reality. It's something completely new to geocaching!

The idea is to make the cache itself travel. How can a cache be attached to a vehicle of some sort (it would have to have a fairly predictable path), clues given, and cachers use their GPS's to track it down?

CarlGurt of "The Two Reprobates"

I could be wrong but I think traveling or moving caches are no longer allowed according to GC.com rules. Although there is probably a way around that and make the vehicle a TB and then of course you could log the TB as it travels to other destinations around the country. Sounds kind of interesting. The logistics behind it are another thing though.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Default Traveling RI Cache

Hi. Just read your post, and it just so happens that yesterday my brother sent me the link to this cache in Rhode Island that you might be interested in looking at: GCZF00. A guy put the cache coordinates on his car bumper, and then posts his schedule to give people a chance to find it.
    (Neat idea, though there are lots of things that I myself wouldn't be quite comfortable with!)

This is a cut and paste from the Geocaching.com guidelines:

Cache Permanence
    When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (“traveling caches”), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be listed. If you wish to hide caches for an event, bring printouts to the event and hand them out there.
    We realize that it is possible that a planned long-term cache occasionally becomes finite because of concerns with the environment, missing or plundered caches, or the owner’s decision to remove the cache for other valid reasons. Please do your best to research fully, hide wisely, and maintain properly for a long cache life.

Cache On!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CarlGurt View Post
    The idea is to make the cache itself travel. How can a cache be attached to a vehicle of some sort (it would have to have a fairly predictable path), clues given, and cachers use their GPS's to track it down?

I think the only way to make this happen to to make the moving target one of the steps in either a puzzle or a multi cache. The final should be stationary. The traveling cache used to be allowed and there have been a few float through Maine. Good luck with your idea. Our approver for Maine, GPSFUN, might be able to assist you with the right terminology.

Quick brainstorm...would be neat to buy an ad and put the coords on a trolley.

Check out this traveling TB that started in California and is presently in Maryland: Stop and go, go go,3 GCCCC7

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...5-2f1d37a512e2

Tjis is a stop sign cache

BB2

Default traveling caches

Here is a bookmark listing for a few traveling caches.

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/...5-f7aa2c549617
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.