vb:literal>

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Winter Camping Event

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    " The Almost Winter Camping Event " Hope it gets cold and snows soon.
    yeah, we need a good snowbank to stuff the doctor in
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    For some reason I just can't picture you on skates and especially camping out in a tent in the winter time Robt............
    Haffy,

Skates no but winter camping could be fun, this time I just need to make sure I am outfitted correctly for it. So where do I plug in my heater and electric blanket Just kidding.

I made quite a few calls today and it seems that you can get almost any answer you want! The most likely answer is that most people winter camp off trail following the same rules as summer backcountry camping. We just might be breaking new ground with a Winter Geocaching Camping Event!

The main concern I heard today is that we make sure the local law enforcement know what we are doing and that all of our cars are parked safely and out of the way of plows.

Another suggestion was Rangely State Park. I'll continue to follow up on the exact location, and I'm sure there is somewhere in western Maine that will work.

The date will be 24/25 Feb. unless someone really wants to change it.

I'd be interested in joining you guys (I'm pretty familiar with the area too), but Pedalchick gave me (us) a weekend in Quebec staying at the Ice Hotel, sounds better to me than a tent It'll still be cold, but with amenities.

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    I made quite a few calls today and it seems that you can get almost any answer you want! The most likely answer is that most people winter camp off trail following the same rules as summer backcountry camping. We just might be breaking new ground with a Winter Geocaching Camping Event!

The main concern I heard today is that we make sure the local law enforcement know what we are doing and that all of our cars are parked safely and out of the way of plows.

Another suggestion was Rangely State Park. I'll continue to follow up on the exact location, and I'm sure there is somewhere in western Maine that will work.

The date will be 24/25 Feb. unless someone really wants to change it.
    You should also look into Lily Bay State park, One of my favorites
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    I'd be interested in joining you guys (I'm pretty familiar with the area too), but Pedalchick gave me (us) a weekend in Quebec staying at the Ice Hotel, sounds better to me than a tent It'll still be cold, but with amenities.
    During the Winter Carnival!! Have some Caribou for me
    ~ Beach Comber ~

The 24th/25th is open for us. I would love to join you, do I dare with the girls? Is it just a matter of a tent and lots of warm clothes and blankets?
    Slowly but surely

Can't hold back from a story here - years ago my son came home from High School and announced he had "volunteered" my services as the female "Mom" chaprone for the "Outdoor Education Class Winter Camping Event". I was taken back but he said, "Mom, you only work part time and can pick your hours. There is no other Mom to attend and we need a Mom."

So, I said, "Sure.".... What an experience this was on Moosehead in February back when we got snow. But there was a blessing - after everyone dug into the snow with their tents and I was say - "ohhh is my sleeping bag and clothes warm enough"..........the Teacher/Leader announced that there was an unheated cabin for the adults if desired...........guess where I stayed?

Actually a really fun event but a once in a life time experience for me. Cross country skiing and falling down, ice fishing with kids and dropping the chopping thing into the hole - oh my.........I prefer summer. But enjoy all! It can be fun - it is what you make it!

I've been watching this thread closely as I'm always interested in winter camping.One thing to check on is if fires are permitted.A winter camping trip without a fire is not a lot of fun.I usually hike and winter camp Bigelow mountain and the state allows no fires.When it gets dark at 4:30 it makes a long night without the fire to sit around.Also if novice campers are going you don't want to be a long way from the vehicles,as some one will surely want to go home before morning.

I'm still planning to do some kind of an event this winter if we ever get any snow.I talked with my friend Jim the other day and he said we could camp on his land.We did this two years ago and had a real good time.Its located on the Kingsbury Stream here in Abbot and is only a mile from my house if it gets to cold for anybody.We haul a big pasta supper in to the site and cooked it on a wood fire.Then hung out drinking hot chocolate and eating hotmade organic cookies.

We just need snow.

Default Yikes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber View Post
    During the Winter Carnival!! Have some Caribou for me
    BOU!! to you. Can you bring us back a bottle and give it to Mainiac? Thanks a million. Literally!
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.