vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A monster is eating my mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber View Post
    I shudder at the thought of the amount of plastic we put into the environment. Last night I was eating yogurt - organic yogurt. I put that part in only because in this situation and in light of this thread what I noticed made me shrug my shoulders. The container that was used was not recyclable - ugh - one of those "fantastic" plastic products. So here we have a product that has been made using a special growing/production process to ensure it is kept organic and chemical free while the container that is used is made by a plant that may (or may not!) take appropriate measure to ensure that what it spews into the air during the manufacturing process is clean and won't cause harm to things like the food we eat. Rather ironic, I thought.
    Just took a chance that this was the company that you were talking about and here is what they have to say about their packaging and recycling efforts. Correct me if I am wrong about the company that made your yogurt. http://www.stonyfield.com/EarthActio...lPackaging.cfm
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Well, thank you! I should have jumped off my high horse when I had that thought run through my head last night and looked this up. This is great information and certainly makes me feel better about consuming their product (yes, you were correct about the company!). It will be great to see more and more companies move in this direction!! I think it will happen, but it will take time for sure. In the meantime, I think I will head downstairs and enjoy some awesome Stonyfield organic yogurt!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Hmmm...

I just checked the yogurt in our fridge (NOT organic), and see that it's in polystyrene containers. Since I'm a big advocate of recycling, I checked to see what I could find about recycling polystyrene.

Here's what I found.
    I thought it was interesting.
    DISREGARD THIS POST!!! CONTAINS INCORRECT INFORMATION!

(I read Haffy's post and realized that I'd misidentified the type of plastic).

Sheesh! (Senior moment...)

Living here in Abbot,next to the Plum Creek proposal and Roxanne Quimby's land holdings,you can only imagine the discussions we have at the coffee shop.Half the crew cuts wood and the other half are half ass enviromentalist.Myself I'm not educated enough to know who's right or wrong or if there even is a right or wrong.I tend to rely on people like Bernd Heinrich for their educated opinions.In his book the The Trees in my Forest he explains that the forest is a lot more then the trees that grow there.The ecology of the forest is greatly effected when its cut and that greatly effects us.

Property rights are a thing of the pass.Planning boards,emanate domain,lurc and all kinds of state and federal agencies have seen to that.We only think when we own property that we have rights.We do have the right to pay taxes on it.

Glad you got this back on topic Vic. Sometimes we do pretty good at hijacking threads but I think it is not intentional unless of course it is Hiram......
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I'm not overly smart when it comes to forestry either. But growing up around Chick Hill, I have seen first hand a lot of cutting over the years. I remember one area a few thousand acres were clear cut and thinking it would never come back. But it has done amazingly well in a short time.

I also know they cut some off a hill out back a few years ago in the middle of winter. because of the snow, the logging yard was over a mile from the hill. By the time spring come, the area looked like a tornado had gone through it, with hundreds of unwanted trees mowed over as the skidders dragged their loads to the yard.

My family had 12 acres cut a few years ago, lots of decent size spruce. It turned out to be good timing as much of the timber was rotted inside. This happens a lot when trees grow close and thick and don't get light below. So, cutting can be a good thing.

My personal opinion is that the earth is quite resiliant. Much of Maine's forests were once farmland and grassland. But I think people should do what they can to promote regrowth when they can.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    My personal opinion is that the earth is quite resiliant. Much of Maine's forests were once farmland and grassland. But I think people should do what they can to promote regrowth when they can.
    YES! I agree.

I hate to see a clear-cut, but economically (and you must consider that) it usually makes sense.

Now lets talk about illegal aliens coming to Maine to plant trees in those clearcuts! LOL!

. [I remember one area a few thousand acres were clear cut and thinking it would never come back. But it has done amazingly well in a short time.]I've watched the same thing up here.Trees are like weeds in the garden the more you cut them the more they grow back.And like in the garden its the pig weed that grows back,not the carrots.Also the ruts from grapple skidders will be there long after the trees grow back.Damage to the land is the real culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker View Post
    I've watched the same thing up here.Trees are like weeds in the garden the more you cut them the more they grow back.And like in the garden its the pig weed that grows back,not the carrots.Also the ruts from grapple skidders will be there long after the trees grow back.Damage to the land is the real culprit.
    I hate carrots!

I hate trying to walk or ATV across skidder ruts, and it may not look as pretty as rolling fields, but when it comes to the actual soil, does it really harm anything? It seems it could loosen up the soil much like tilling a garden, and the holes may provide shelter for smaller animals.

I understand if you're our hiking in nature that you don't like to see any more presense of big machinery than possible, neither do I. But that doesn't mean the earth will not continue to flourish, and may even be better for it in the long run.

There's a chance if modern day hamans never inhabited Maine that there could have been a forest fire that destroyed more forest and kill more wildlife than we would ever remove.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Russell mountain has been a part of my life for over sixty years,and I've seen allot of changes.While it might be sad to changes happening it gives me a chance to do something different. Carrier is doing a good job{my opinion}and the roads that they have made are excellent for skiing[if we ever get snow].I remember standing on the ledges up there with my dad and uncle and looking at Squaw mt. with out tree's in the way.The tree's will grow back and the cycle will start all over again.I too have worked in the woods and I've been back to look at the places that I was involved with,and I have to say I'm not ashamed of any place that we cut.It all comes down to money,but isn't that what we need to feed the family-Number Seven