vb:literal>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RE: Computer help needed

Default RE: Computer help needed

OK, here's the short story. My computer will not allow me to hyper-link (at least I think that's the right term). For example, I tried to open the link to Groleau's puzzle for his latest cache posted at geocaching.com and nothing happens . . . this has also been a problem at other sites where I try to open a link and nothing. Any suggestions.

. . . And if you're so inclined to read . . . here's the long story. I'm a computer idiot. Yeah, shocking, huh? But it's true.

My computer woes began a little before Christmas when I realized I needed to renew my anti-virus subscription. I was going to simply renew it when I noticed for $5 more I could update to the 2007 version so I figured, "Hey, why not? Sounds like a deal." So I typed in the required info and credit card info and began the download . . . and I waited . . . and waited some more since I have dial-up at home.

Eventually the program downloaded and began to install . . . until I got a message saying I didn't have administrator permission or something like that to install the program. I dutifully followed the directions provided by Norton until I reached a point where I was told to change something regarding the administrator and/or permittees (or something like that) . . . and I realized my computer didn't have this listed.

So I went back and bought and installed the old anti-virus software (after the folks at Norton said they would cancel my first order). I installed it and everything seemed hunky dory . . . until my wife mentioned that two PC games that I bought for her wouldn't load due to ikernel.exe and class not being found . . . whatever that meant. After much searching on-line for an answer and trying everything under the sun . . . and coming up empty -- I had an inspiration -- I would go back a few months and load up a saved copy of my computer.

This fixed the problem with the games loading and everything seemed to be great. My anti-virus program was up and running, the new games I bought Heidi worked and things were A-OK . . . until my wife mentioned that another computer game that was working before no longer worked -- followed shortly afterwards by my discovery that I could not bring up links at various webpages . . . and followed by another discovery that all of the lists of options (i.e. enable/disable Java, enable/disable Earl Grey tea, etc.) under the Internet "advanced" settings that I had seen listed before were nowhere to be found.

And so now I have a few games that work, an anti-virus program that seems to be working . . . but links are out of commission and at least one of my wife's games that did work no longer does . . . and that's the long story.

So . . . any suggestions for a computer moron?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

It sounds to me like you have a pop up blocker enabled, when you click on a link and its supposed to open a new page in a new window it won't allow it. I have an irritating blocker that does the same thing, i have to turn it off when i edit web pages and stuff like, but i have an icon on my toolbar so it just takes one click to turn off and on. But im sure if you spend some time with your software you should be able to find yours in your internet settings.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

I wish I knew more, but two things I do know, or at least have an opinion of:

I know someone who recently had trouble opeining links in IE that were supposed to open a new window. We upgraded to IE 7 and it works now. Not sure if that was the right cure or if it'll come back, but it's been good for nearly a month.

I gave up on any Norton Programs a few years ago. I'm not sure about the newer versions, but at that time Norton programs all but took over the system and was always causing problems and using up memory. For antivirus now, I use Avast!. It seems to works well on 2 PCs and a laptop here, updates automatically without issue, and it's free!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    It sounds to me like you have a pop up blocker enabled, when you click on a link and its supposed to open a new page in a new window it won't allow it. I have an irritating blocker that does the same thing, i have to turn it off when i edit web pages and stuff like, but i have an icon on my toolbar so it just takes one click to turn off and on. But im sure if you spend some time with your software you should be able to find yours in your internet settings.
    I did think of that . . . but it fails to work with the Pop-up blocker turned off or on.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I wish I knew more, but two things I do know, or at least have an opinion of:

I know someone who recently had trouble opeining links in IE that were supposed to open a new window. We upgraded to IE 7 and it works now. Not sure if that was the right cure or if it'll come back, but it's been good for nearly a month.

I gave up on any Norton Programs a few years ago. I'm not sure about the newer versions, but at that time Norton programs all but took over the system and was always causing problems and using up memory. For antivirus now, I use Avast!. It seems to works well on 2 PCs and a laptop here, updates automatically without issue, and it's free!
    I've already upgraded to IE 7 so it appears as though this possible solution is a no-go.

I'll have to look into Avast! . . . is it as good and up-to-date as Norton?

Click the TOOLS menu in you IE7 and then click Pop-up Blocker and see if that is turned on.
    Blazing Troll

I have been using AVG antivirus for many years and that is free as well. I like those words too,,,,,FREE. If you are using windows XP maybe you could do a system restore to a point before you started having the trouble. That has gotten me out of a lot of trouble in the past.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Jason, what are you using for AV Software?

FFJ, I've had no trouble yet with Avast! yet. It updates daily as a rule, of course if you have dial up it may not be as convinient, but not much is on dial up! But it's quite transparent on broadband, and no infections yet after a ferw years of using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun View Post
    He said Norton
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun View Post
    Norton 2005