vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gps

Question Gps

Hi everyone! New Geocacher here. I honestly have been reading and reading lots of threads, books, articles, etc.... and there is LOTS of info, maybe a bit overwhelming....so OPEN TO GPS opinions....I have found 9 caches so far without a GPS (YEAH) . I am thinking from what I have read to purchase the Garmin 60csx ? The least expensive place I have found it at is Walmart for 376.44(as much as I'd hate to give them business ); any opinions are WELCOME....Also, what will I need in addition? I will obviously have to wait and save for the rest after this purchase.........MY BIGGEST WORRY IS FIGURING OUT HOW TO USE THE THING !!! LOL Looking forward to talking with you all!!!! ----------------Craftycaching : Ami
    Craftycaching----Ami

d’76 Guest

If you can afford the 60csx, that is what I would recommend. Remember thou that unit only comes with base maps that are not very detailed. To use the full potential of the unit you will want to purchase a mapping program for it. If you are considering using it without the maps then you could purchase a much more inexpensive unit.

So all in all the 60csx is a far better unit, if you can afford it buy it. Enjoy

That is what we use... and like it

Quote Originally Posted by craftycaching View Post
    Hi everyone! New Geocacher here. I honestly have been reading and reading lots of threads, books, articles, etc.... and there is LOTS of info, maybe a bit overwhelming....so OPEN TO GPS opinions....I have found 9 caches so far without a GPS (YEAH) . I am thinking from what I have read to purchase the Garmin 60csx ? The least expensive place I have found it at is Walmart for 376.44(as much as I'd hate to give them business ); any opinions are WELCOME....Also, what will I need in addition? I will obviously have to wait and save for the rest after this purchase.........MY BIGGEST WORRY IS FIGURING OUT HOW TO USE THE THING !!! LOL Looking forward to talking with you all!!!! ----------------Craftycaching : Ami
    Welcome to geocaching and geocachingmaine.org . . . sounds like you like to do your research before plunging into a new activity . . . which is what I did . . . except that my research led me to purchase a Magellan.

Some caches can be found without a GPSr . . . and then there are some that are much easier to find with a GPSr . . . and then there are some that I wouldn't even attempt to try without a GPSr. It sounds as though you've taken the first step and now realize that geocaching might be a lot of fun . . . especially with a GPSr.

I'm not sure if you're looking for the touch-and-feel-and-try experience and good feeling (i.e. the ability to easily return the product) that comes with buying a GPSr from a traditional brick and mortar store or not . . . but it seems to me that a lot of times you can find some good deals on GPSrs through internet stores . . . have you searched for any deals there or not?

As Dave said . . . you'll probably want to buy more detailed mapping software. Just about every make and model out there with mapping abilities comes with a base map, but they're not very detailed and generally only contain major roads and/or topographical features (i.e. rivers, lakes, etc.) Detailed maps for a visually-oriented type of guy like me are very important.

Also you'll probably want to start investing in rechargeable batteries. I generally use rechargeables whenever possible, but keep some "regular" batteries on hand as well.

Finally, you're in a good place . . . both by being here and by being in Waterville . . . if you're looking for help and input as you start out geocaching. The folks here can offer lots of good opinions and advice -- all you have to do is ask . . . and there are several folks in Waterville (Haffy, Hiram or the G-Team for example) and within striking distance of Waterville (WhereRWe, TRF, Smitty and others for example) that are familiar with the Garmin line of GPSr and would be more than happy to show you the "ropes" . . . again, you need only ask in most cases.

Again, welcome to gcmaine!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

The least expensive place I have found it at is Walmart for 376.44(as much as I'd hate to give them business )
    Crafty - the one thing I've asked as long as I've been a member of this group - and it's been a while - is that there be no POLITICAL discussions.

I like WalMart. I own stock in Walmart. Can you see where this could lead?

Your cooperation would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Default Thanks for the Information

Thank you all for the information. Appreciate it ALOT. And I apologise for the "political" comment, did not mean at all to be offensive. Sorry.
    Craftycaching----Ami

Thanks again everyone!!! I made a choice and went with the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX, I got a awesome deal for $341.74 with shipping off of Ebay. Thank you for all the messages, e-mails, and advice. Cannot wait to get it & figure it out!!! Have a great night!!
    Craftycaching----Ami

Thanks again everyone!!! I made a choice and went with the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX, I got a awesome deal for $341.74 with shipping off of Ebay. Thank you for all the messages, e-mails, and advice. Cannot wait to get it & figure it out!!! Have a great night!!

Now do you have the Mapsource mapware for it? You can get a couple different kinds. One will give you the maps and a straight line to the cache while the other will give you the maps along with directions by road. I have the second and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingTerry View Post
    Now do you have the Mapsource mapware for it? You can get a couple different kinds. One will give you the maps and a straight line to the cache while the other will give you the maps along with directions by road. I have the second and love it.
    YES! If you've got the 60csx, you really need to get Garmin's Mapsource City Navigator.

And then you need a laptop to take with you when you go caching.

no, I do not have any Mapping software for it as of yet. I do want to get it of course. I think I may want to see what someone elses looks like as an example maybe..... at this point I am so happy that I ordered the GPS--lol- I have the handbook downloaded onto my laptop desktop browsing through BUT I need to hold it and play with it to really get it...
    Now WhereRWe you mentioned having a laptop to bring? I have one, is that to use the pocket query's? Is that only internet accesible? I am sorry if I sound stupid, just figuring it ALL out. LOL Haffy helped me do a pocket query, can that be saved offline onto the laptop? Or is the laptop for a different purpose? I am not sure if I wanna carry it around with me BUT if it is USEFUL I would consider it!!! LOL I am trying to figure out what I should know FIRST and not overwhelm myself with info that can wait. I look forward to learning more about maps though. I never really had an interest in maps but LOVE to be outdoors, and fish and camp BUT I do want to know how to get myself out of the woods when I get myself LOST!!! LOL Thanks everyone- you are all so nice!
    Craftycaching----Ami