vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gps

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by craftycaching View Post
    no, I do not have any Mapping software for it as of yet. I do want to get it of course. I think I may want to see what someone elses looks like as an example maybe..... at this point I am so happy that I ordered the GPS--lol- I have the handbook downloaded onto my laptop desktop browsing through BUT I need to hold it and play with it to really get it...
    Now WhereRWe you mentioned having a laptop to bring? I have one, is that to use the pocket query's? Is that only internet accesible? I am sorry if I sound stupid, just figuring it ALL out. LOL Haffy helped me do a pocket query, can that be saved offline onto the laptop? Or is the laptop for a different purpose? I am not sure if I wanna carry it around with me BUT if it is USEFUL I would consider it!!! LOL I am trying to figure out what I should know FIRST and not overwhelm myself with info that can wait. I look forward to learning more about maps though. I never really had an interest in maps but LOVE to be outdoors, and fish and camp BUT I do want to know how to get myself out of the woods when I get myself LOST!!! LOL Thanks everyone- you are all so nice!
    I tend to carry the gps and the laptop while out on the trail, when the laptop gets heavey I just give it to the little woman and let her carry it for awhile. Just kidding, you can store your pq's off line in gsak and then revisit them anytime you want. You will also need a palm pilot of some sort. Has anyone mentioned that to you yet. LOL the list of toys that you could "need" is endless. Get yourself started with the gps and a couple of pages of caches printed off and go find them. As time progresses you can ease into it instead of jumping right in head first.

Now WhereRWe you mentioned having a laptop to bring? I have one, is that to use the pocket query's? Is that only internet accesible? I am sorry if I sound stupid, just figuring it ALL out. LOL Haffy helped me do a pocket query, can that be saved offline onto the laptop? Or is the laptop for a different purpose?
    You don't usually need the laptop with you when you go caching, but it can be a help sometimes. We usually only take ours with us when we make an overnight caching trip.

But you do need to get GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife). It's the best program for cache management. You load your pocket query into GSAK, and you can do almost anything with the data. Haffy can help you with that, or we can demonstrate it at the WWWWWW3 event next month.

no, I do not have any Mapping software for it as of yet. I do want to get it of course. I think I may want to see what someone elses looks like as an example maybe..... at this point I am so happy that I ordered the GPS--lol- I have the handbook downloaded onto my laptop desktop browsing through BUT I need to hold it and play with it to really get it...
    Now WhereRWe you mentioned having a laptop to bring? I have one, is that to use the pocket query's? Is that only internet accesible? I am sorry if I sound stupid, just figuring it ALL out. LOL Haffy helped me do a pocket query, can that be saved offline onto the laptop? Or is the laptop for a different purpose? I am not sure if I wanna carry it around with me BUT if it is USEFUL I would consider it!!! LOL I am trying to figure out what I should know FIRST and not overwhelm myself with info that can wait. I look forward to learning more about maps though. I never really had an interest in maps but LOVE to be outdoors, and fish and camp BUT I do want to know how to get myself out of the woods when I get myself LOST!!! LOL Thanks everyone- you are all so nice!
    You can always do what I did . . . but then again I'm a Magellan user . . . sorry, had to beat Hiram to the punch . . . when I first started. I started out by printing out the pages and didn't go paperless (and even now I'm slowly testing these proverbial waters) until recently. As a new user I found it easier to have one less high-tech thing to worry about . . . instead I could just concentrate on the search and logging in the right coords -- but as I said that was me and I'm pretty close to being a technological Neanderthal.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Just to make a clarification . . .

If you're just starting out geocaching all you really need is a GPS receiver, batteries to power it, the coords/hint and computer with internet access so you can first find out where the caches are hidden and then to log on afterwards to report your "found" cache.

Items, such as swag or signature items, are nice to drop in the cache, but if you TNLN (took nothing left nothing) you don't need this . . . and obviously water, proper clothing, etc. are necessary depending on where and when you go searching for the cache (i.e. wearing shorts this time of year might not be very wise, not taking some water with you to do the Gulf Hagas cache may not be smart, etc.)

However, and this is a big HOWEVER, if you're going the paper-less caching route then (as Dave said) you can buy all kinds of things from a laptop, PDA and the accompanying software such as GSAK and Cachemate. GSAK is not necessary if you're not doing the paperless thing, although it can be useful . . . ditto for many other items.

If I were you, but I am not the last I checked, I would personally recommend that you get the GPSr, print out a couple of "easy" local caches (1-2 star rating on the difficulty), learn how to set the waypoints of the GPSr and go looking for these caches . . . I honestly believe that the best way to learn how to geocache is with the hands-on approach -- although an even better way and perhaps even more enjoyable method would be to hook up with an experienced cacher and have him/her work with you so you can learn how to use your new GPSr and at the same time learn a little about how to search for geocaches, how geocaches are hidden, geocache etiquette and how you might want to eventually buy extra stuff if you get hooked with caching. Again, just my suggestion.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Default Palm Pilot

Yes, actually haffy mentioned a Palm Pilot, I am wondering about that as I would like to go paperless too (eventually)- "endless" toys LOL I imagine!! Sounds like FUN though! I already have a laptop so I have got to figure out all this stuff, Haffy also helpd me download GSAK- now I have got to figure it all out. Having the GPS in hand will be better- but like you said I can ease into it; got the GPS ordered, already hooked, lol- THANKS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    I tend to carry the gps and the laptop while out on the trail, when the laptop gets heavey I just give it to the little woman and let her carry it for awhile. Just kidding, you can store your pq's off line in gsak and then revisit them anytime you want. You will also need a palm pilot of some sort. Has anyone mentioned that to you yet. LOL the list of toys that you could "need" is endless. Get yourself started with the gps and a couple of pages of caches printed off and go find them. As time progresses you can ease into it instead of jumping right in head first.
    Craftycaching----Ami

Default THANKS!!!!! That program is AWESOME!

THanks- Now I have to figure the program out! lol

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    You don't usually need the laptop with you when you go caching, but it can be a help sometimes. We usually only take ours with us when we make an overnight caching trip.

But you do need to get GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife). It's the best program for cache management. You load your pocket query into GSAK, and you can do almost anything with the data. Haffy can help you with that, or we can demonstrate it at the WWWWWW3 event next month.
    Craftycaching----Ami

Default Lots of great info!! THANKS

THanks so much!! Got the unit, gotta get some extra batteries, have the internet connection and BELIEVE me I have quite a few locations I would love to visit--lol
    My daughter and I already have a box of SWAG items too-lol
    And we are trying to not overpack or underpack what we may need....
    But with the cold your better off safe rather than sorry.

I appreciate ALL your suggestions!!! I definatlely have to learn about the waypoints and I cannot wait to meet people and hear their expierences and learn from them. Caching with someone else sounds fun too!

Thanks FF JAKE!!!!

craftycaching
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Just to make a clarification . . .

If you're just starting out geocaching all you really need is a GPS receiver, batteries to power it, the coords/hint and computer with internet access so you can first find out where the caches are hidden and then to log on afterwards to report your "found" cache.

Items, such as swag or signature items, are nice to drop in the cache, but if you TNLN (took nothing left nothing) you don't need this . . . and obviously water, proper clothing, etc. are necessary depending on where and when you go searching for the cache (i.e. wearing shorts this time of year might not be very wise, not taking some water with you to do the Gulf Hagas cache may not be smart, etc.)

However, and this is a big HOWEVER, if you're going the paper-less caching route then (as Dave said) you can buy all kinds of things from a laptop, PDA and the accompanying software such as GSAK and Cachemate. GSAK is not necessary if you're not doing the paperless thing, although it can be useful . . . ditto for many other items.

If I were you, but I am not the last I checked, I would personally recommend that you get the GPSr, print out a couple of "easy" local caches (1-2 star rating on the difficulty), learn how to set the waypoints of the GPSr and go looking for these caches . . . I honestly believe that the best way to learn how to geocache is with the hands-on approach -- although an even better way and perhaps even more enjoyable method would be to hook up with an experienced cacher and have him/her work with you so you can learn how to use your new GPSr and at the same time learn a little about how to search for geocaches, how geocaches are hidden, geocache etiquette and how you might want to eventually buy extra stuff if you get hooked with caching. Again, just my suggestion.
    Craftycaching----Ami

Default Laptop mapping demos

Karen is planning on having TAT and I set up our laptops with the mapping software on them. Come next Sunday to the event, " I'm Sitting " and see them. I use DeLorme Streets, and Mapsource, Topo and nRoute. I think TAT has some others. Come join us and see for yourself. Welcome aboard.

Since when does an opinion on a retailer, constitute " political ". Bruce you need to get out and get some caches.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Cool Sounds GREAT!!

Thanks for the information; I hope I get my GPS Unit by then, but even if I do not I would love to come, are their any children going? My daughter 12 would come too if there is...... I would love to come check things out and get a feel for what the heck I need to learn....lol Thanks for the welcome!!!
    Craftycaching-------Ami

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    Karen is planning on having TAT and I set up our laptops with the mapping software on them. Come next Sunday to the event, " I'm Sitting " and see them. I use DeLorme Streets, and Mapsource, Topo and nRoute. I think TAT has some others. Come join us and see for yourself. Welcome aboard.

Since when does an opinion on a retailer, constitute " political ". Bruce you need to get out and get some caches.
    Craftycaching----Ami

Default Lots of Kids

Thanks for the information; I hope I get my GPS Unit by then, but even if I do not I would love to come, are their any children going? My daughter 12 would come too if there is...... I would love to come check things out and get a feel for what the heck I need to learn....lol Thanks for the welcome!!!
    Craftycaching-------Ami
    There should be lots of kids coming. My son 1manteam will be there. Karen has set up lots of things for them to do, to keep them busy. You know " crafty " stuff. Sorry I couldn't resist. You'll learn alot. There should be quite a few of the MAP60CSx's there for you to check out. And PDA's too. I'm sure we can answer all your questions.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.