vb:literal>

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Campout Event WITH Snow!!

WOW! That gave me an idea. Anyone up for getting lots of snow trucks (they're not doing anything) and helping these people out by bringing the snow to Maine's trails!

Me and Hiram are heading on tomorrow on the sleds and parking my truck at Newport in the morning and will be riding the sleds to Greenville and back. We are going to try and stop at the camping area along the way and check it out. Will keep everyone posted.
    Blazing Troll

You never know what you may run into in the woods these days.As I was walking back to my car today after snowshoeing into the camping site I came across a couple of characters.Turns out it was Rick and Aaron on their snow sleds.We all went back to the site, sat around the fire and talked over the up coming event.A good time was had by all.

Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker View Post
    You never know what you may run into in the woods these days.As I was walking back to my car today after snowshoeing into the camping site I came across a couple of characters.Turns out it was Rick and Aaron on their snow sleds.We all went back to the site, sat around the fire and talked over the up coming event.A good time was had by all.
    Yeah, we stopped in abbot on our way back and grabbed a couple of sandwiches... you should've seen the kinda ruffians that hang out in that general store.

The campsite looks pretty nice, we're going to definitely try hard to make this one. (anyone gunna bring a bucket with a toilet seat on it?)
    The hike in and out wasn't bad at all, and the ducks hang out in trees!! (must be those abbot ducks) Where is it that were all gunna park vic? will we be able to drive down and park where we parked the sleds?
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

My two cents.

Slow Poke (I mean Hiram) and I went snowmobiling today with the goal in mind to fine the winter camping event location. We found the directions misleading. I have posted the proper direction from the ITS below. We did find the location though. We ran into Vic while he was coming out. He said he knew we were coming and was down there waiting for us. Like I said we ran into him at about 1:30 coming out and he jumped on the back of one of the snowmobiles and we headed back in. We parked the sleds at the trail head and walked down in. We got the fire going again and sat for a bit and talked and walked back out.

The site is a great location for a winter campout. Vic did a good job at picking out this location. I am going to definitely try and make this event. In fact I think I will take my vacation the week before to help coordinated making it to this event. I sure hope that we have a nice night for this event because it would be great to move the fire pit down onto the ice like Vic suggested so that we could have a bigger fire.

Here are the directions to the Maine's Winter Camping Event 2007 from ITS 85.

• From ITS 85 at N45° 14.658' and W69° 32.236' take the turn off at this location. There should be a sign saying Balsam Woods Campground.
    • Follow the trail until you cross a metal bridge.
    • Once you cross the bridge there will be another trail leading to the right as soon as you cross the bridge, but do not take this trail. Keep going straight up the road.
    • The trail will go along side the road (barrow falls road) for about 0.4 miles then it will veer off from the road to the left back into the woods.
    • Then about 0.44 miles down this trail at coordinates N 45° 13.845 W 069° 32.270 there is a side trail leading to the final coordinates N 45° 14.008 W 069° 31.773 that will bring you to the camp fire pit.

If anyone coming on snowmobile needs further help with the direction then please feel free to contact me.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post

Slow Poke (I mean Hiram)
    as I recall, you we're the one leading the way, and I was just following...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Default Snow !!!

The weather forecast is sounding good for our winter camping event.The weatherman is saying one to two feet of snow is possible for this area.Everyone keep your fingers crossed.This would be just what we need to make a great winter experience.Think snow!!!

I used tracking on my GPS this weekend to get to the Winter Camping Site and I converted it to Google earth and attached it to this post. I only did it from the car parking coordinates to the Campfire. If anyone needs it from the snowmobile ITS trail to the Campfire then please let me know.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Blazing Troll

Here is a GPX file with the waypoints and the track file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Here is a GPX file with the waypoints and the track file.
    That works fine in Mapsource.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."