vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First To Find Etiquette?

Default First To Find Etiquette?

I have been wondering about something, and thought I’d throw this out to all of you. Is there some unspoken “First to Find” Etiquette that cachers go by? Specifically, when someone is the first to find a cache, is it expected that he/she will log the find as soon as possible? Is that what most people do? For example, last fall I was watching a cache, and knew it had been found. However, the person who found it first (an experienced cacher) waited until the next morning to log it. I have seen other caches where someone finds it and has it logged wthin the hour. I realize that computer internet access varies, of course, and there are times when it would take a while to log your finds. In general, though, if you see a cache that has not been logged as a find yet, do you assume that it’s been found and not logged? If you are FTF yourself, do you feel the need to log it right away, or are people waiting to log it on purpose? If you are one of those FTF addicts (I’m not now), is that part of the thrill, or do you get annoyed? Am I thinking about this way too much? Really, I am just curious as to what goes on in people’s heads with this...Maybe I don’t really want to know!

d’76 Guest

I do my best to log it right away but I wont change my plans to find a pc to log it. Some times a day or so might pass if I am in the woods.

Yeah I think you should attempt to try and log it as soon as you can but there are circumstances that won't allow that sometimes so just do your best. Just remember this is a game and you're supposed to have fun with it. Some take it more seriously than others.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Waiting to log the FTF is sometimes part of the fun. If you are in an area where there are several cachers that rush to get the FTF and its friendly competition then what's the harm. Personally I log my finds as soon as I can unless something prevents me from doing so. That was not aways the case when I had lots of competition in the area; Haffy??? Smitty??? I always got a chuckle when I beat somebody or was beaten by that somebody and many times ran into that person while trying to achieve the FTF. Then we would sit and chat and raz the second to find. I was humbled many times, lol!!

I wouldn't be upset if I went to get what I thought was an FTF to find out that it had already been found. Matter of fact, lots of times (oh yeah FFJ, I'm thinking of you, LOL) being, or attempting to be the FTF simply means you're the guinea pig for the new listing to see if its correct.

The idea of this whole sport is to have fun, stay with the caching spirit and enjoy it!!!

My 2 cents worth!!

I'm a morning person. The last thing I want to do after a long day of caching is look at a computer! My logs usually wait until the next day (sometimes 2!) I rarely try to be ftf, but it has happened. I especially like the FTF's that go unfound for a year or two. No need to be in a hurry to log those.

d’76 Guest

So we all thought we where going to be first to find on an unfound that was place 2 years before when we got there it was logged four days before we got there.

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    I'm a morning person. The last thing I want to do after a long day of caching is look at a computer! My logs usually wait until the next day (sometimes 2!) I rarely try to be ftf, but it has happened. I especially like the FTF's that go unfound for a year or two. No need to be in a hurry to log those.

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun View Post
    I wouldn't be upset if I went to get what I thought was an FTF to find out that it had already been found.
    Wasn't it you who got to the cache in Waterville behind a school and opened the cache to find a chicken butt sticking out of it?

I'll never forget Hiram looking for 20 or 30 minutes for my Right in Plain Site IV cache, finding out the Smitty crew beat him to it, and then having to explain to the cop why he was there after dark. LOL

The only real etiquette around me is not to get in front of my car on a dark trail late at night. Just ask Gob-ler

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingTerry View Post
    Wasn't it you who got to the cache in Waterville behind a school and opened the cache to find a chicken butt sticking out of it?
    Well! I seem to remember finding you sitting in your car lot it Waterville as I walked out from a FTF. I'm sure it was "MESSalonski" cache....LOL. And I never realized how appropriate your signature item was until after having found one of them sticking butt-out when I opened a container and then having met you shortly there after. Oh yeah, thats right, I said it, your a chicken butt.....LOL,,,hahahahahaha

Default I guess I agree with the majority on this subject.

I like getting FTF's if it works out, and I do try to sign as soon as I can. I do also like sticking my sig magnet on the lid of an ammo can sort of as a "nanny nanny boo boo" to some of the other FTF hounds in the Bangor area. I have been slacking a bit as of late. I see one popped up 2.5 miles from home this morning, and I'm in Rumford. Bummer for me. I guess I'll get it latah!
    Happy Trails!

Opened the lid and there is was - the sig item - Upsalquitch got that sucker at 6 AM - I missed it too! He is on a road trip to Mass so I don't think will be posting for at least 5 hours. I have posted cause I came right home.

Circumstances sometimes dictate how soon someone logs. The same is true of TBs and coins found in and/or moved from caches. This summer we had an instance that some other cachers and I were on a road trip and dropped a TB. We were going to log that night at the hotel to put the miles on the bug.

When we went to do our logging, someont had already grabbed the TBs. If they had just waited a tad - everything would have been done in order.

Point being - sort of give folks a chance and consider they may be on the road for at least at few hours before they can do their logging.