vb:literal>

Thread: GPS Mounts/Mounting Options

Hybrid View

Post GPS Mounts/Mounting Options

I couldn't find a good general thread on GPSr mounting options so here's my two cents...

Most GPSr manufacturers offer mounts for their products but the OEM mounts don't offer much in the way of vibration resistance and lack flexiblity particularly if you want to move your unit between vehicles (car, truck, atv, snowmobile, boat, or plane). There is a better way...

Check out RAM Mounts: http://www.ram-mount.com/
    They have kits for most portable electronics that offer suction cup, surface, handle bar, and other mounts in many different configurations. You can even get them to mount laptops in your vehicle! If you move your GPSr between "vehicles" you can just buy additional bases instead of another whole kit. This enables you to move 90% of the kit you already have back and forth with ease.

You cannot buy direct from RAM Mount. The place that I found to have the best inventory and has, so far, been great to do business with is: http://www.custommounts.com/

I picked up a surface mount kit for my GPSMAP 60Cx. This mount is great! It's well built, offers great flexibility in positioning, and absorbs vibration very well. It also allows the use of ALL OEM cables!

Another of my favorite accessories that makes mounting things in a car or truck much easier is a Vehicle Specific Mount from
    Pro.Fit International: http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/vsm.html
    I order these through my cell phone company. This is the product their installers often use. Many fire/police radio installers have them as well. These brackets often provide the only good way to mount things on a dash in new vehicles.

Hope this helps...
    How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America?

It's a busy time of year so am not surprised there are no comments on this thread. I, the Mom of the author, had my GPSr, mounted in my car in a cup holder. Have to say that my son, the author here, has opened my eyes to a whole new world of wonder.

If you want stuff mounted in your car - there is a way. Dave is more than willing to help folks toward a direction. He is into mounting stuff in regular vehicles as well as onto his passion of a vehicle - motorcycles..........so ask away - challenge him.

Let's welcome him to GCMaine!

Can you believe - he wants to strap buttered bread to a cat - perhaps because he is allergic to cats??????????

Cats are easier eating if you put them in bread - keeps the hair from getting stuck in your teeth.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I, too, used a cup holder for a long time when I used my Vista for caching. When I upgraded to the 60CSx, I upgraded my holder as well and have one that attaches to the windshield. It is great! It has a flexible arm so I can move it as needed and has a strong hold to the window. I am keeping my eyes on the road much better now that I have my GPS practically in front of me when driving. Here it is.........
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Smile The way we cache

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    mounted in my car in a cup holder.
    I have a laptop mount bolted into my truck, and a pda mount on the windshield. My bluetooth gps rides in the sunshield of my moonroof, but the garmin legend rides in the cupholder!

I had quite a time finding my laptop mount. Finally found this shady dealer on ebay who I knew from the get go, was bad news. It took him 45 days to ship, but I admit, I am happy with it. When the laptop is not along for the trip, it doubles as a table. We did dremel the edges down a bit and install non skid stuff to hold things in place.

Now I feel like going on a cache run! Let's go!

Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    We did dremel the edges down a bit...
    Sheesh! Another product name becomes a verb, joining recent additions Tivo and Google! LOL!

Just to echo bgrffdave's comments on the Ram mounts . . . I've got one for my ATV and it is a great product and worth every penny -- you can swivel the mount to exactly where you want it and it stays right in place despite the bumps, jouncing, speed, etc.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Ram's done it again. They've come out w/a mount that connects to your mirror base. Check it out...and if you already have a ram mount...this base is only about $11.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

When the bracket for my Garmin MAP76 wing sides broke this fall - RAM replaced it with the evidence of a photo. Can't ask for anything better than that.