Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 78

Thread: Winter camping "Tip of the Day"

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Auburn
    Posts
    2,113

    Default Winter camping "Tip of the Day"

    A few people (like me!) are new to camping in the snow and have some questions and concerns about what to bring and do when camping in snow, so I thought I'd start a thread asking the experts out there for some practical advice.

    I'll start with a quote from another website:

    "Always use a pad under your sleeping bag in the winter. Many people suggest two pads. Insulating yourself from the ground is more important than insulating yourself from the cold air."

    I've heard it is not a good idea to use an air mattress because the air inside free to move and actually conducts heat away from the body rather than insulate it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    The Hiram tip-o-the day!

    Invest in a "Mr. Buddy" heater, it's light, it's portable, and it's 9000BTUs of beautiful glowin red heat!

    It has a knockover safety that will shut itself off in case of a tipover, and it also has a low oxeygen cutout so that you wont suffocate yourself in your tent! I used it in a 6 person dome tent this fall, it got down into the 30s at night and we were toasty warm with it on the low setting.

    extended tip: leave the beer cooler outside, but within arms reach of the front zipper (I usually place my sleeping bag by the flap just for this reason)

    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    extended tip: leave the beer cooler outside, but within arms reach of the front zipper (I usually place my sleeping bag by the flap just for this reason)

    But remember - beer WILL freeze!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    But remember - beer WILL freeze!
    WHAT!?!?! You let is sit out long enough to freeze???
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    abbot me
    Posts
    754

    Default

    Hiram I have no experience with these heaters,but it sounds like you have check out the safety concerns that come to mind.After reading of the two articles in the paper lately of carbon monoxide poisoning in our state it just worries me.

    Back in my beer drinking days we simply burried the beer in the snow to keep it from freezing.Just outside of the tent of course in case of an emergency!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker View Post
    Hiram I have no experience with these heaters,but it sounds like you have check out the safety concerns that come to mind.After reading of the two articles in the paper lately of carbon monoxide poisoning in our state it just worries me.

    Back in my beer drinking days we simply burried the beer in the snow to keep it from freezing.Just outside of the tent of course in case of an emergency!!
    It's a really nice little unit, I heavily studied the product reviews of it before I bought one because I had a lot of safety concerns about a heater in a tent. I even tested it in my apartment before actaully using it, knocking it over and letting it run a few hours to check for any hot spots, ect... (it's a lot safer than those little coleman ones on wire legs)

    and yes, it is very important to plan ahead in case of an emergency! just remember that there is a difference between the funnel with tube in front of tent and the funnel with tube in the back of tent!
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    The Hiram tip-o-the day!

    Invest in a "Mr. Buddy" heater, it's light, it's portable, and it's 9000BTUs of beautiful glowin red heat!

    It has a knockover safety that will shut itself off in case of a tipover, and it also has a low oxeygen cutout so that you wont suffocate yourself in your tent! I used it in a 6 person dome tent this fall, it got down into the 30s at night and we were toasty warm with it on the low setting.

    extended tip: leave the beer cooler outside, but within arms reach of the front zipper (I usually place my sleeping bag by the flap just for this reason)

    My parents had a propane heater that they used while camping occasionally when I was a kid . . . which is strange since we only went camping in the Summer (perhaps that's back in the days when Maine had real winters that lasted all the way until the 4th of July.)

    Personally, I'm not a big fan of those heaters . . . I know they have safety devices built in, but somehow it just doesn't seem overly safe to bring a device into a tent that is designed to generate heat (and as a result possibly carbon monoxide) . . . but again that's just me . . . call me Fire Marshal Bill.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    On a side note . . . and not to get off topic (although I often tend to do so) . . . I thought of you Vicbiker last Friday since I was cruising through the Abbot area as I went from Newport to Greenville and back on the sled.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    abbot me
    Posts
    754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    On a side note . . . and not to get off topic (although I often tend to do so) . . . I thought of you Vicbiker last Friday since I was cruising through the Abbot area as I went from Newport to Greenville and back on the sled.
    Some of the local riders are planning to lead some rides around some of our local trails the weekend of the camping event.Abbot has some nice areas besides the 90 mph highway to Greenville.Might be worth checking it out!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    My parents had a propane heater that they used while camping occasionally when I was a kid . . . which is strange since we only went camping in the Summer (perhaps that's back in the days when Maine had real winters that lasted all the way until the 4th of July.)

    Personally, I'm not a big fan of those heaters . . . I know they have safety devices built in, but somehow it just doesn't seem overly safe to bring a device into a tent that is designed to generate heat (and as a result possibly carbon monoxide) . . . but again that's just me . . . call me Fire Marshal Bill.
    The unit itself is pretty foolproof, the safety switches are very basic (very little margin of malfunction) 9 times outta 10 it's the user that causes the problem.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •