vb:literal>

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter camping "Tip of the Day"

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    My parents had a propane heater that they used while camping occasionally when I was a kid . . . which is strange since we only went camping in the Summer (perhaps that's back in the days when Maine had real winters that lasted all the way until the 4th of July.)

Personally, I'm not a big fan of those heaters . . . I know they have safety devices built in, but somehow it just doesn't seem overly safe to bring a device into a tent that is designed to generate heat (and as a result possibly carbon monoxide) . . . but again that's just me . . . call me Fire Marshal Bill.
    The unit itself is pretty foolproof, the safety switches are very basic (very little margin of malfunction) 9 times outta 10 it's the user that causes the problem.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Jake

Sounds like we should hook up and bring our sleds up there and mingle for a while then we could go out riding and come back at the end of the day. We do not have to stay the night. We could just ride and mingle. You know we will stay warm riding. So what do you say?

I am going to try and make the event if there is snow. I am undecided about spending the night though. It would be a little cold in my hammock I think. I may bring it and give it a try though.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Jake

Sounds like we should hook up and bring our sleds up there and mingle for a while then we could go out riding and come back at the end of the day. We do not have to stay the night. We could just ride and mingle. You know we will stay warm riding. So what do you say?

I am going to try and make the event if there is snow. I am undecided about spending the night though. It would be a little cold in my hammock I think. I may bring it and give it a try though.
    There will be a nice warm fire going all day.The abbot snowmobile clud house will be open(they serve lunches)thet day.There are motels in the area for anyone wanting to stay without camping out.You snowmobilers can always ride home in the dark unless you are scared of the dark like Hiram.

Jake

I might be interested . . . remind me a few days before the event . . . although you do know my stand on geocaching events, right?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I. . . remind me a few days before the event . . . although you do know my stand on geocaching events, right?

That you're socially impaired and hate people???? LOL
    Last edited by Trezurs*-R-*Fun; 01-31-2007 at 09:46 AM. Reason: speling error

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun View Post
    That you're socially impaired and hate people???? LOL
    See
    Rick, Steve remembers!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

I might be interested . . . remind me a few days before the event . . . although you do know my stand on geocaching events, right?
    Jake

I remember your stand on events. We do not have to make this and all day mingle. Here are my thoughts and itinerary on this. The event starts at 9 am. So we could show up at about 9:30 or a little later. This way everyone would be at the camping area already. We could do this because we know it only takes up about 5 minutes to unload our sleds and be off and it will take the people going to the event a lot longer to get there stuff out of the car and organized before they hike into the camping area. Here is my idea and the time table could be different if we start earlier or later.

09:30 arrive and unload sleds
    09:32 At the even and mingle for 15 to 20 minutes or longer
    10:00 Head out from the event
    Head to Pittston Farm for lunch (you know this is awesome)
    We have two options from here.
    Option 1, head to Kokadjo and back to Greenville and to the event and on.
    Option 2, head back to Greenville and to the event and on.

Jake thing that we could do is to ask some of the users from the Maine Sledder web site who just bought GPS's to come with us and join in on the ride.
    Blazing Troll

Jake

I remember your stand on events. We do not have to make this and all day mingle. Here are my thoughts and itinerary on this. The event starts at 9 am. So we could show up at about 9:30 or a little later. This way everyone would be at the camping area already. We could do this because we know it only takes up about 5 minutes to unload our sleds and be off and it will take the people going to the event a lot longer to get there stuff out of the car and organized before they hike into the camping area. Here is my idea and the time table could be different if we start earlier or later.

09:30 arrive and unload sleds
    09:32 At the even and mingle for 15 to 20 minutes or longer
    10:00 Head out from the event
    Head to Pittston Farm for lunch (you know this is awesome)
    We have two options from here.
    Option 1, head to Kokadjo and back to Greenville and to the event and on.
    Option 2, head back to Greenville and to the event and on.

Jake thing that we could do is to ask some of the users from the Maine Sledder web site who just bought GPS's to come with us and join in on the ride.
    Intriguing . . . keep me in mind . . . and hope and pray that we get some more snow.

Today's tip: Don't breath into your sleeping bag. Your breath has a lot of moisture and if you get too much in your bag, it will reduce it's insulation value. Keeping dry keeps you warm!

If any of the sledders out there have some advice specific to gear and techniques for sledders, feel free to join in! You can haul a lot more stuff in a sled than snowshoers can. It's likely that you would gear up differently.

Tat as you know some people have a lot more hot air in thier breath then others..... Those people might want to consider sleeping with there heads outside of the tent......