vb:literal>

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Winter camping "Tip of the Day"

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    Did your summer tent have any uncloseable screens or vents? I have two 3 season tents, but im not sure if i want to use them because they both have screens that arent closeable and I dont think a tarp over them would provide adequate wind protection if it's blowin breezy that night.
    It's a typical two wall construction, the inner is just screen and the outer is water proof. It did not keep any heat in, I'm sure. I thought about "banking" it, but it may not be rugged enough. Besides, the night we went was so calm, it would not have made much difference.

Default Three season tents

I also took a three season tent with me and have camped in the winter often using a variety of three season tents. As long as you aren't on the ledges of a mountain top where the wind is going to go right through you, you'd probably be okay.

One thing I do to keep warm, is take Nalgene bottles to bed with me that have been filled with boiling water. Make sure the lid is on tight and put them in a sock. In the morning, you have water that will boil quickly because it's still warm and you can brush your teeth right away because the water has been sanitized. Then, when everyone is wondering how you got your coffee and oatmeal so quick, you can putter around the campsite.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaching Karen View Post
    I also took a three season tent with me and have camped in the winter often using a variety of three season tents. As long as you aren't on the ledges of a mountain top where the wind is going to go right through you, you'd probably be okay.

One thing I do to keep warm, is take Nalgene bottles to bed with me that have been filled with boiling water. Make sure the lid is on tight and put them in a sock. In the morning, you have water that will boil quickly because it's still warm and you can brush your teeth right away because the water has been sanitized. Then, when everyone is wondering how you got your coffee and oatmeal so quick, you can putter around the campsite.

that sounds like a pretty handy tip (i think ill have to steal stef's nalgenes), a lot better than the traditional rocks from around the campfire.... have you ever tried putting rocks on your oatmeal?
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

I have one four season tent and a couple of three season tents.I've used both for winter camping.The only problem you might normally incounter using a three season tent in the winter is a heavy wet snow.Even this would only be a problem if you were not aware of what was going on.As long as you keep the snow from building up on the tent there won't be a problem.Most three season tents have a one piece fly that goes over the part that is ventilated.On one of mine the fly doesn'treach the ground,so I've got to bank a little snow around it.We will be camping in the trees and its quite protected from the wind.

Hiram just make sure the netting is in good shape so the "skeeters" won't get ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaching Karen View Post
    Thats a great idea...never heard of that technique although I can't say I"ve done alot of winter camping with below freezing temps.

What do people use for backpacking stoves? Anyone else use the
    Jetboil system? I think its awesome!
    "It may be that your soul purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others" ~Steven Wright~
    I'm in my own little Lat/Lon

“Danse avec les Arbres”

Default ?

Boiling water won't crack a Nalgene bottle? $8 mistake if it does.
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker View Post
    I have one four season tent and a couple of three season tents.I've used both for winter camping.The only problem you might normally incounter using a three season tent in the winter is a heavy wet snow.Even this would only be a problem if you were not aware of what was going on.As long as you keep the snow from building up on the tent there won't be a problem.Most three season tents have a one piece fly that goes over the part that is ventilated.On one of mine the fly doesn'treach the ground,so I've got to bank a little snow around it.We will be camping in the trees and its quite protected from the wind.

Hiram just make sure the netting is in good shape so the "skeeters" won't get ya.
    ya know, last year at this time i actually did see a skeeter at the snow bowl....

Is that the only diff between 3 and 4 season tents is that the 4s dont have any open vents?
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Default We splurge

Quote Originally Posted by Foxgloves View Post
    Thats a great idea...never heard of that technique although I can't say I"ve done alot of winter camping with below freezing temps.

What do people use for backpacking stoves? Anyone else use the
    Jetboil system? I think its awesome!
    This was my first time out in below zero weather. It was beautiful to wake in the am and see a million crystals all over the inside of your tent. My 3 season tent was just fine, even if I was in a 20 degree bag. I had an issue with my toes getting cold in the middle of the night. Hot Hands in my socks did the trick. We tend to splurge on food if we can sled or kayak it in. We have been using a Coleman single fired propane burner. Large enough to cook ribs or a nice stew. Mmmmmm. I'm not sure that will fit in a Jetboil.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Default Nalgene bottles

I've been doing the boiling water in Nalgene bottles trick for years. I've never had one split, break, or leak... and I tell you, I toss and turn at night.

Bring plastic bags with you. You can use them as vapor barriers on your feet and just slip them over your socks (some people can stand the plastic dirrectly on their feet) and put on a loose fitting pair of socks over that. Can make for toasie toes at night.

Default Back packing vs sledding

I think if you are camping on relatively flat terrain a sled works better then a back pack.Its hard to hike very far or to work very hard with a pack without working up a sweat which will leave your back soaking wet.This means when you get to the camp site you'll need to change clothes or dry the ones you're wearing.With a sled as long as you don't over excert yourself you can stay nice and dry.Dry means warm.

Hiking up a mt. requires the use of a pack and try as I might I've never been able to do it with out getting sweaty.So I always bring an extra hot chilly top to change into.The wet one can be dried quickly hanging on a branch in the wind.The great thing about poly-pro.