vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expensive Rear end!

Default Expensive Rear end!

Well, my budget Ford 8.8 axle swap has, at this point, not counting labor, cost approx. $2,000.00. That's $200 for a junk yard Explorer 8.8 axle, $75 for a set of mounting hardware to fit the Jeep, $200 for a set of Ford SVO 4.10 gears, $100 for a master install kit for the gears, $530 for a Superior Super 88 kit (HD chrome moly axles with C clip eliminators), $725 for an ARB air locker, and $200 for extended brake lines and all new disc brake parts. Should be one bullet proof axle, though!

Quote Originally Posted by The G Team View Post
    Well, my budget Ford 8.8 axle swap has, at this point, not counting labor, cost approx. $2,000.00. That's $200 for a junk yard Explorer 8.8 axle, $75 for a set of mounting hardware to fit the Jeep, $200 for a set of Ford SVO 4.10 gears, $100 for a master install kit for the gears, $530 for a Superior Super 88 kit (HD chrome moly axles with C clip eliminators), $725 for an ARB air locker, and $200 for extended brake lines and all new disc brake parts. Should be one bullet proof axle, though!
    !!!! all that for an exploder rear end.... sacrilege.... now you have a Jord... (Just Order Rear-end Daily) I thought you were gunna go with the aussie lockers?

P.S. I passed you the (goin the opposite direction) in oakland the other day, I flailed my arms and flashed my lights but my windows were too dirty to see any response.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    !!!! all that for an exploder rear end.... sacrilege.... now you have a Jord... (Just Order Rear-end Daily) I thought you were gunna go with the aussie lockers?

P.S. I passed you the (goin the opposite direction) in oakland the other day, I flailed my arms and flashed my lights but my windows were too dirty to see any response.
    Ha ha--yup, I was waving franticaly as well--The Jeep Wave does not work so well in the winter.

As to lockers, well, I'd always planned on a selectible for the front, and having the compressor already, I decided I might as well spend the extra cash for the rear as well. This way the diffs are open for road use and fully locked when necessary off road.

Oh, and it's a JeeF

Ha ha--yup, I was waving franticaly as well--The Jeep Wave does not work so well in the winter.

As to lockers, well, I'd always planned on a selectible for the front, and having the compressor already, I decided I might as well spend the extra cash for the rear as well. This way the diffs are open for road use and fully locked when necessary off road.

Oh, and it's a JeeF
    what are you going to do the front end? I thought those couldnt be locked?

JeeF??

Just Engage Emergency Flashers?

Already got the ARB airlocker for the front. I have not decided if I'll drop the three bills for chome moly shafts or just run stock and carry spares. I have procured a set of reverse cut Dana Spicer 4.10 gears to drop in. With the ARB, I can still run in Full Time on the road and lock up the front off road in part time if the need arises (and on the Rubicon, I'm sure it will!). A rock-proof diff cover should finish it off. The stock D30 seems to be considered more-than-adequate for use with 31" tires, even locked.

Oh, yeah, just won a Safari Snorkel on eBay--that will be cool. I've decided to go that route, rather than use the K&N FIPK I have (which will be up for sale--it is for the '98-01 models).

Already got the ARB airlocker for the front. I have not decided if I'll drop the three bills for chome moly shafts or just run stock and carry spares. I have procured a set of reverse cut Dana Spicer 4.10 gears to drop in. With the ARB, I can still run in Full Time on the road and lock up the front off road in part time if the need arises (and on the Rubicon, I'm sure it will!). A rock-proof diff cover should finish it off. The stock D30 seems to be considered more-than-adequate for use with 31" tires, even locked.

Oh, yeah, just won a Safari Snorkel on eBay--that will be cool. I've decided to go that route, rather than use the K&N FIPK I have (which will be up for sale--it is for the '98-01 models).

I'm jealous... I don't like you anymore... are snorkels street legal now after all the inspection code updates?

I'm jealous... I don't like you anymore... are snorkels street legal now after all the inspection code updates?
    I haven't actually got around to going to the garage yet, but I did read thru the entire inspection laws and the only restrictions at all on intakes or snorkles I could find pertained to the use of them on ATVs operated on public land (to stop people from driving thru swamps and wetlands, I guess)--nothing about passenger vehicle use. If it's a problem for inspection I'll have to come up with some sort of way to detach it I guess.

I haven't actually got around to going to the garage yet, but I did read thru the entire inspection laws and the only restrictions at all on intakes or snorkles I could find pertained to the use of them on ATVs operated on public land (to stop people from driving thru swamps and wetlands, I guess)--nothing about passenger vehicle use. If it's a problem for inspection I'll have to come up with some sort of way to detach it I guess.

just put a satelite dish on it

And in other unrelated sad news, the meeting center of northern caching adventures has burned down tonight The fairfeild bigstop... gone... The company I work for is a building management company that takes care of all the irving stores (and no i didnt recently work at that store) so the cops let me through the barriers and I went up to see the damage.... they won't be reopening soon, we'll need to find a new ORCA meeting place.

just put a satelite dish on it

And in other unrelated sad news, the meeting center of northern caching adventures has burned down tonight The fairfeild bigstop... gone... The company I work for is a building management company that takes care of all the irving stores (and no i didnt recently work at that store) so the cops let me through the barriers and I went up to see the damage.... they won't be reopening soon, we'll need to find a new ORCA meeting place.
    Yeah, saw the news--that's crazy. We'll have to come up with a new spot for the next "meeting". Speaking of that, we should probably think about a date and some potential routes for a spring trip.

Yeah, saw the news--that's crazy. We'll have to come up with a new spot for the next "meeting". Speaking of that, we should probably think about a date and some potential routes for a spring trip.
    are we going to stick with the downeast idea this year?? (there's always the bigstop in newport!)