vb:literal>

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is it coming to this?

Perhaps there is also opportunity to lobby GC.com to revise some of the placement guidelines. Maybe they could ask for more detail in where the cache is located and how it is hidden. If they knew that it was, let's say, in a light pole, etc. perhaps they could deny the placement. That is an aspect that probably should be reviewed as well, it is unrealistic to believe that thousands and thousands of cachers will revise their hiding style based on articles in the paper. But then again, the potential fine of $1000 or being charged with a felony is not something I care to be charged with - maybe that will motivate others to change their hiding style.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

At this point in time I think that this site and the other site where I also got a dialog going regarding this very issue are the places to be discussing these things. We, as representatives of geocaching in Maine, should be the ones setting the correct examples to others. It is only through education and information that we can be sure that all cachers be made aware of the consequences in selecting a site to place their cache. I don't think that GC.com wants to be the cache police and make decisions regarding where caches are to be placed.

It is on sites like this where we can talk about these issues and make the proper correct decisions about how geocaching will take us into the future. We have guidelines and a mission statement where hopefully others will read which should be pretty clear as to how we stand on issues such as this. I would hate to see us as well being the so-called cache police but I think by setting an example in how and where we place our caches is a good step in the right direction.

I don't think the so-called urban micro is the whole issue here either but it's the complacent attitude that some cachers have as to where they can hide them that is the crux of this whole problem. We just have to take a moment and ask ourselves if this is the proper place and if permission is indeed warranted in placing a cache. Just because a cache is placed on public property doesn't make it right and neither is a cache placed on private property with permission. I have at times been very hesitant to go onto someones personal property to find a cache even though permission has been granted. It's a thin line and with more people getting involved with caching this thin line will be stretched to it's limit as we are beginning to see.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Has anyone thought of contacting their local law enforcement regarding their own caches? I haven't, but perhaps that's all that needs to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    Has anyone thought of contacting their local law enforcement regarding their own caches?
    Once I had gone to the Conservation Commission here in Cape Elizabeth in order to get permission for some new caches, I also contacted the police chief here in Cape. Along with the email about the caches here in Cape (particularly the ones in Fort Williams), I offered to show him where they were and what they looked like, to him or any of the Cape officers. While he was aware of geocaching, he was not aware of the particular caches in Ft Williams or around Cape Elizabeth but politely declined the tour or wanting to know their exact placement. But he does have my phone number and email in case there are any questions or situations that come up.

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    Has anyone thought of contacting their local law enforcement regarding their own caches? I haven't, but perhaps that's all that needs to be done.
    I have contacted someone in hopes he can assist in our discussion. We can't stop all these caches from being placed, but perhaps there should be a few people that could be contacted or something else done in case a cache wrongly gets reported.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I have on a couple of occasions given the reviewer a heads up on what I thought was an illegally placed cache. In both instances the hider was a newbie and was unaware that the location was not a legal place for a cache. I let the reviewer decide if it needed to be removed or disabled and after being notified by the reviewer the caches in question were removed. I think that the more people get into caching, we will be seeing more of this happening in the future. I don't think an email to the reviewer as to a questionable cache hide is very hard to do and will save someone some embarrassment in the future.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    ...let the reviewer decide if it needed to be removed or disabled ...
    I agree! The reviewers in our area know a lot more than I ever will about the "big picture".

Default Kittery PD viewpoint

I was a bit concerned about my caches since I live just one town away from Portsmouth., so I spoke with the Kittery PD about my Geocaching. It seems that Geocaching is not under the radar any more! The officer raised some good points:

1. Geocaches are very difficult to identify, especially if they are placed without permission near buildings, bridges, parking lots, etc. An ammo box is exactly the same container a terrorist may use. Even when permission is granted, there can still be a problem unless the people there at the time know about it. For example, the officer said since I have permission to hide a cache at the Kittery Trading Post, even though they have firearms and are a logical target, it would likely not be a problem because they are very well organized and prepared. Whereas, a lamp post at in the middle of a parking lot may be much worse because the person on duty may not have been told about permission for the cache.
    2. The officer was also concerned that a terrorist could use Geocaching to allow placing a device. Police can only enforce laws. If a cache is placed and it does not violate a law, they cannot remove it.
    3. Neither the federal government, Home Land Security, state government or local government have given the Kittery PD any direction on how to deal with Geocaching.
    4. Geocaching is an activity that people should be allowed to enjoy. But, like a lot of things these days, we need find ways to make it work.

So, what can we do?

The officer recommended sending a letter to the town manager letting the town know where my caches are and getting formal permission. He also suggested using “letter head” from an organization to help speed the process. This may be a perfect opportunity open lines of communication with local government.

Post Unified voice

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    At this point in time I think that this site and the other site where I also got a dialog going regarding this very issue are the places to be discussing these things. We, as representatives of geocaching in Maine, should be the ones setting the correct examples to others. It is only through education and information that we can be sure that all cachers be made aware of the consequences in selecting a site to place their cache. I don't think that GC.com wants to be the cache police and make decisions regarding where caches are to be placed.
    I remember just a few months ago that a few cachers were speaking up for the rest of us. Thanks to those who did. Shouldn't we be speaking with a unified voice, for the sport we love. We should be talking with authorities and towns who have preserves that we cache on now. I think that, " someone " should have a direct affiliation with the Maine web site. Like the BOARD we elected. We need to be preactive not reactive.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

I agree, Gary. This is just the type of thing that was presented during pre-voting discussion as a potential role for the board. Such as - to come up with a potential plan, language that could possibly be used in letters, an organized approach to contacting local governments, etc. Proactive is usually best rather than a reactive approach to a problem that has surfaced.

In my view, contacting our reviewer and asking for removal of a cache, etc. is essentially the same as asking GC.com to be involved in determining the appropriate placement of a cache. They are relying on us to let them know if something is inappropriate AND taking our word for it. On the GC website the Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines were last updated updated November 2, 2005. They do say this in the very first paragraph......

"Before a cache is listed a volunteer will review the page for inaccuracies, bad coordinates, and appropriateness before posting the cache to the site."

Given the state of concern regarding potential suspect behavior around the country in the last couple of years, it seems to me that the reviewers can play a big role in helping to educate those who participate in geocaching about what is appropriate or note. It would require asking a few questions and would help to not only educate, but also to reduce the negative view that at least some of the public will have.

Education is important and I, too, believe as others have said that taking the opportunity to set an example individually and share knowledge with others is important. It is definitely a step in the righ direction, but it can come from a variety of angles and through many approaches.
    ~ Beach Comber ~