vb:literal>

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is it coming to this?

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    Has anyone thought of contacting their local law enforcement regarding their own caches? I haven't, but perhaps that's all that needs to be done.
    No, but I had to see the Chief of Police in Milo one time to get back one of my caches that had been found by a geomuggle and turned in to the police! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    No, but I had to see the Chief of Police in Milo one time to get back one of my caches that had been found by a geomuggle and turned in to the police! LOL!
    did they turn it in because they thought it was dangerous? or did they just happen to find it?
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    did they turn it in because they thought it was dangerous? or did they just happen to find it?
    It was as well hidden as any other cache, but the guy's DOG found it. As he didn't know what it was, he was suspicious.

For anyone that doesn't get weekly Groundspeak notifications (is there anyone that doesn't?), here is their note reguarding this subject:

Important Geocache Placement Reminder
    -----------------------------
    This week, a marketing campaign for a television show was mistaken for a terrorist threat and the city of Boston, USA was temporarily shut down. For geocachers worldwide, this raises the issue of proper cache placement.

Please make sure to avoid placing a geocache in any location where it might be confused with something dangerous.

Important things to consider when placing or maintaining your geocache:
    1. Make sure that your geocache can easily be identified as a geocache.
    2. Use a clear container, if possible, so that the contents are easily identified.
    3. Identify your container as a geocache by marking the outside of the container or attaching an Official Geocache sticker.
    4. Make sure that you have permission from the landowner to place your cache on their property.

Please take the time to ensure that your cache is appropriately placed and contributes to the positive experience of others.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I have been approached by police officers on several occasions asking about my suspicious behavior while I was out geocaching. They asked to see identification, not 'did I have permission' from the owner. Somehow I don't think the question of permission factored into the Portsmouth incidents or the recent Boston Terror fiasco, which btw: resulted in one felony charge of placing a hoax device and one charge of disorderly conduct.

If you look closely at what is happening here, there is a paradigm shift from "intent" to "result" that I find very disturbing. While I do believe geocachers are responsible for being aware and taking precautions against serious misunderstandings by the public, the burden of proof for criminal activity used to be based upon proof beyond a reasonable doubt of intent to harm. The worst thing that could happen to someone who failed to see how a reasonable person might react was a charge of negligence. But Now! how irrational people over-react to something that looks out of place is a criminal act?

I don't know about y'all'all, but I take exception to being held responsible for something over which I have no control. What next, should the reviewer charged as an accomplice? What about all the people who visited the cache and didn't report it to the police, are they guilty of "placing" the "device" as well or are they simply accessory after the fact? It is unlikely anyone will be able to come up with a set of rules that will prevent all possible misunderstandings.
    The Adventure
    Continues . . . .

- Zoltarus

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltarus View Post
    [COLOR=black]I have been approached by police officers on several occasions asking about my suspicious behavior while I was out geocaching.
    LOL! I don't know you, but you probably LOOK suspicious! (You're not Black, are you? ) (New profiling method: caching while Black! LOL!)

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    LOL! I don't know you, but you probably LOOK suspicious! (You're not Black, are you? ) (New profiling method: caching while Black! LOL!)

I'm not quite sure how to read this statement or what the intent is. . . .
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I'm not sure how many people are watching the cache activity in the Southern NH area. Since they are in my catchman area for notifications from GC.com, I have noticed some significant activity - quite a few caches are being archived and/or reviewed by the owner to revisit whether it meets the placement criteria.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Yes, it looks like quite a few are gone. I hope this make Geocaching stronger in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    Yes, it looks like quite a few are gone. I hope this make Geocaching stronger in the long run.
    May I ask, how will this make geocaching stronger?