vb:literal>

Thread: What's in your caching kit?

Post What's in your caching kit?

While there are lots of little suggestions scattered around the boards I didn't find just one thread that discussed what's in everyone's caching "kits". I'm trying to make more of a list of things to consider rather than what to bring every time. What you need totally depends on where you're going on any given hunt. Here's my list so far built from a number of suggestions:

- Sturdy Bag/Backpack
    - Raingear/Clothes for Varying Weather
    - Sturdy Boots/Shoes
    - Walking/Prodding Stick
    - Knife
    - Sunglasses
    - Water/Snacks
    - Flashlight/Headlamp
    - Camera/Binoculars
    - Sun Screen/Bug Repellant
    - First Aid Kit/Basic Survival Gear
    - Geocaching Flyers/Explanation of the sport
    - GPSr
    - Cache Printout/PDA
    - Compass
    - Pen(s)/Pencil(s)
    - Paper/Spare Log
    - Re-Sealable Plastic Bags
    - Tradables/Travel Bugs/Promotionals/Signature Items
    - CITO Supplies
    - and spare batteries for anything electronic!

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Something else to consider... something that you thought would be useful but found is just wasted space?
    How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America?

Even though I don't smoke I ALWAYS carry a lighter. It could save your life if you get injured. Also a cell phone could be very helpful. I have never trusted waterproof matches, If you have ever tried to build a fire in wind and sleet up on a mountain you will know what I mean. Something to think about.

YOP

You didn't leave much room for addition on the original list. Our cache bag carries the essentials for everyday geocaching:
    GPSr
    camera
    swag/signature items
    pen
    batteries
    bandaids
    hand santizer
    There are times when we carry other things like bug dope and bring extra shoes and a rain coat, maybe a picnic for a long day, water. But man, everthing won't fit in a carriable bag and much of it just stays in the car.
    Slowly but surely

You have quite a list already. All I usually bring is a GPSr (Printout/PDA), a pen and trinket in my pocket (sadly, I often forget these "extras").

However, here is a list of Items not aready listed that I have either wished I had or thought I needed and didn't use:

- Snake Bite Kit
    - Hunter Orange Hat/Vest
    - Boat
    - Waterproof Bag
    - Extra GPSr
    - Map
    - Rope
    - Gloves
    - Snowshoes
    - Two forms of Identification
    - Proof of Insurance
    The Adventure
    Continues . . . .

- Zoltarus

Quote Originally Posted by bgrffdave View Post
    - Sturdy Bag/Backpack
    - Raingear/Clothes for Varying Weather
    - Sturdy Boots/Shoes
    - Walking/Prodding Stick
    - Knife
    - Sunglasses
    - Water/Snacks
    - Flashlight/Headlamp
    - Camera/Binoculars
    - Sun Screen/Bug Repellant
    - First Aid Kit/Basic Survival Gear
    - Geocaching Flyers/Explanation of the sport
    - GPSr
    - Cache Printout/PDA
    - Compass
    - Pen(s)/Pencil(s)
    - Paper/Spare Log
    - Re-Sealable Plastic Bags
    - Tradables/Travel Bugs/Promotionals/Signature Items
    - CITO Supplies
    - and spare batteries for anything electronic!
    -Sharpie marker
    -Walkie Talkie radio
    -MARK A WAYPOINT AT YOUR CAR ALWAYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Sharpie is for fixing washed out coordinates on a multi cache. I have run into this problem a couple times where I found part of a multi stage where the writing was so washed out I had to take a guess at them and fortunately for me I guessed right. After I found the cache, on my way out I stopped back and re-wrote the coords w/ a sharpie. It saves the owner from going out to do maintenance and they are appreciative.....

The Walkie Talkie I was given a good suggestion on...Leave a Walkie Talkie on the seat of your car and take the other one w/ you...Let a family member know where you are hiking and give them a spare set of car keys and if for some reason you ran into trouble and you didn't come out of the woods when you were suppose to....and family members got worried..they naturally would find your car in the parking lot and could get into your car to use the other radio to try and reach you. The other thing is if people came looking for you, they would assume that you have a walkie talkie w/ you if they saw the other one laying on the seat. I thought it was a good idea although my only problem with that is leaving gadgets in your car in plain site can draw attention to vandalism. Been there done that. Sometimes cell phone coverage just isn't available where you are hiking so Walkie Talkies are a good 2nd resort.... Of course, this is more approprate for a L O N G dayhike where you plan on being gone for a day or more. /quote]
    "It may be that your soul purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others" ~Steven Wright~
    I'm in my own little Lat/Lon

“Danse avec les Arbres”

another thing I thought of is

-Flagging tape

I had done a plane crash site a few years ago and the common complaint in the logs was that the trail became less and less apparent as you ascended...in this particular case the cache made note of orange flag tape used at a junction so I brought along w/ me a roll of orange flagging tape and blazed the trail on my way. It made for an easier hike for the next cachers that came along...
    "It may be that your soul purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others" ~Steven Wright~
    I'm in my own little Lat/Lon

“Danse avec les Arbres”

Hey how about TP ? ( toilet paper) one never knows when mother nature may call....
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.