vb:literal>

Thread: Track Files

Hybrid View

Default Track Files

I am working on creating a track file that can be downloaded for Garmin and Magellan users so that they can upload them to there GPS.

Does anyone know what format I should create the track file in that will work for both or will I have to create two different formats for each GPS?
    Blazing Troll

The formats are different for each. And there are some differences between models.

If you want to save the best quality track files with Garmin, don't use a saved track if you can help it. Saved tracks are compressed to some extent, which deletes what it thinks are unimportant waypoints. This does not matter so much with a long straighter track, but a trail with a lot of switchbacks it will make a big difference. Obviously with longer trails where you are just dealing with intersections, a route make more sense than a track. I am not sure if Magellan saves tracks this way, maybe a user here knows?

Some saved formats also don't save additional track information like speed, elevation, time, etc., which may or may not matter for your project. You can always save in one format and people can use GPSbabel to load it to GPS or convert it to run in other mapping programs.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I can save the track to what ever format I want. If I know the formats each one uses I could post both formats. If anyone knows the formats for each GPS then let me know and I will post those formats. The two most used would be Garmin and Magellan. If I could find just those out that would be great.
    Blazing Troll

Actually, you don't really need to save to match the format of the GPS. You need to save to match the format of the program the users are going to use to upload it to their GPS. Mapsource can read GPX files, maybe mapsend can as well, and you'd only need the one file. Using GPX files, people who don't have the $$$ map software could still use some freeware software to upload the tracks.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Not being able to use Google Earth because of being on dialup that KML file wouldnt work for me. A GPX file would be better as I could download that to Mapsource.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Not being able to use Google Earth because of being on dialup that KML file wouldnt work for me. A GPX file would be better as I could download that to Mapsource.
    John, I just uploaded the GPS file in the event link for rthe winter trip. Does a GPX file also include tracks?
    Blazing Troll

Yes, a GPX file can include tracks. I just converted your file - usually it doesn't make waypoints out of the points in a track, but it did this time. Not sure if it's the format of Google that did it or not. Maybe someone with Magellan software can verify it works?

Edit: Rick, the version you made in the other thread works better than the one I converted. So, I deleted this file to save confusion..
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!