vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cool Software - Watcher

Default Cool Software - Watcher

As the beta tester for a geocaching program called Watcher, I felt the need to introduce it to Mainers who have not heard of it yet.

Watcher is a program for gc.com paying members who can receive Pocket Queries (GPX files). It is being developed by a geocacher named Clayjar, who also runs the Geocaching IRC channel (IRC users can join #Geocache on irc.slashnet.org; or there is a java applet at http://gcchat.clayjar.com/ )

Watcher is a program which allows the user to view cache listings offline, and sort and/or filter by just about every factor imaginable, including distance, cache rating, last found/placed, cache tpe, cache size, found/unfound - you name it!. For us dial up users, it is a great time saver and saves some load on gc.com's servers. You can print cache pages or cache lists.

With any luck Watcher will eventually be able to upload to your GPS, which will be an added bonus. Several other features are on the drawing board. Watcher is free, but if you really like it, it would be nice to paypal ClayJar a donation via the link in the software.

Watcher can be downloaded from http://clayjar.com/gc/watcher/
    Any questions, requests or comments are welcome - feel free to ask me here or check and see if either ClayJar or I are in chat and ask there.

So Dad ,will using watcher be of any advantage over lets say Cachmate,or GSAK or any of the other software choices that are out there.I know that cachemate is used for my PDA and I have GSAK which I have but don't use yet. I have Easy GPS which I use for my downloads of my GPX files to my GPS. Will Watcher compliment these or just add to more of my confusion?

Watcher is closer to GSAK than cachemate or EasyGPS. Watcher is made to view cache pages and sort or filter caches. You can merge two or more GPX files with Watcher. GSAK does have some features Watcher does not have, but I think Watcher is easier to use. Of course, I am biased.

You should download Watcher and open a GPX file with it, and with GSAK and compare. If you don't like one, it's easy enough to uninstall.

Because Watcher does not have GPS upload capability (Yet), you will still need EasyGPS to load your GPS with, and you will still need Cachemate to create the files for your Palm.

Smile

Thanks Dad,I'll just download it and see for myself then. I'll let you know how I feel about. I'm looking for something simple,kinda like me...lol
    Last edited by Haffy; 06-24-2004 at 04:39 PM.

Gave this app a try. Pretty sweet. Not really sure how it will fit into my "geocaching system".

Quote Originally Posted by Team Trout
    Gave this app a try. Pretty sweet. Not really sure how it will fit into my "geocaching system".
    Well, lets see if I can think of a couple things I use it for that people might not think of off the bat...

Sort by "last Find" or "Last No Found" (I'm trying to get him to add a "Last Logged") - This is like having the entire state, within the limit of your loaded files, as a giant watch list.

Even though I go paperless, if I know I will be caching in a particular area, I often pick out a cache in the area, right click and choose "set as center", then print out the main screen (first few pages, landscape mode) - This gives me a list of nearby caches, makes for a quick reference.

Since I have dial up, I use Watcher as much as I can. If I want your profile, it's quicker to use Watcher to click on your name and choose "view profile" Thank to load 2-3 pages at gc.com waiting for them to load.

I just found this program today!! I haven't downloaded it yet tho! Is it still a good program? I tried GSAK and found it very confusing... so maybe this program will be a bit easier for me...

It still works, and I still use it. It has a lot less features than GSAK, and it will not upload to your GPS or PDA, but you can use Cachemate and EasyGPS to do that.

What it will do is open, save, and merge GPX files. you can filter by distance, cache type, hider, and more.

There are more features that are supposed to eb added, but the designer has been very busy on other projects. But, it still works well for me, so give it a look.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by Starzz View Post
    I just found this program today!! I haven't downloaded it yet tho! Is it still a good program? I tried GSAK and found it very confusing... so maybe this program will be a bit easier for me...
    Sue -

GSAK is a VERY complex program, but it will do almost ANYTHING you want to do with cache data.

BUT... You don't need to get too involved to make great use of it.

Show up at the event tomorrow and I'll demonstrate it!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Show up at the event tomorrow and I'll demonstrate it!
    You come pick me up and I'll be there!