vb:literal>

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Whats your story?

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    My handle comes from the spelling of my last name and it's also a nickname I have had for many many years. I just shortenend it to Haffy. It's a long German name very similiar to Haffenreffer, that other German beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Oh, oh! Now you've done it, Haffy! LOL!

Wellll.... Since we're on the subject of German beers...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    ....... but at work I'm pretty much known by the knickname I use here and at other forums -- FirefighterJake.

While you may or may not realize this in the City of Boston there is a tradition where every new firefighter is called a "Jake" while on their probation . . . true story. Unfortunately, the City of Bangor does not have such a tradition.

I picked up the moniker shortly after I was hired by Bangor back in 1995 when an Assistant Chief started calling me Jake. At first I thought he simply mixed up my real name. After several weeks had gone by and by now everyone was calling me Jake I asked him about the Boston FD connection to which he told me that he actually called me Jake since I reminded him of his pet bassett hound Jacob (aka Jake). I never thought of myself with particularly big ears -- short and fat, sure, but big ears? In any case a few weeks later he brought in Jake and another bassett hound which he introduced as Jake's girlfriend . . . and her name was (true story) Heidi which as some of you know happens to be my wife's name!

I don't really mind this knickname since it beats the first knickname a Dispatcher tried to pin on me -- Lt. Goober -- as well as a name that a Firefighter tried to give me -- Mittens. In addition it works well for dealing with children while doing public education.
    I have always loved the name Jake....and coincidently this is the name of my imaginary Chocolate Lab that someday I'd like to have. Its such a nice name.
    I love your story about the bassett hounds. That is too cute! and the trivia about Boston Fire fighters is very cool too. I never knew that.
    When I think of the name Jake I automatically think of a strong, kind and compassionate person...and I guess that is appropriate for FireFighters.

Mittens??? I'd love to hear about that one...and your college nickname??????
    "It may be that your soul purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others" ~Steven Wright~
    I'm in my own little Lat/Lon

“Danse avec les Arbres”