vb:literal>

Thread: Inside the NP-242 Transfer case

Default Inside the NP-242 Transfer case

Well here's somthin' ya don't see everyday:

The stripping of the parts Jeep is going well--this is the transfer case out of it. We had to pull the output shaft to send to Tom Wood's Driveshaft for them to intall the slip yoke eliminator. Just a tip--there are a whole bunch of teeny little parts inside one of these, including approx. eleventy billion LOOSE needle bearings. We'll see if it all goes back together as well as it came apart!

lol, I remember the first time I spent 2 hours picking up needle bearings... pack some grease on em to hold em together.

is this out of your green jeep??? I passed you on the way to norridgewock, but I was in my service truck... tryin to drink a soda, talk on the phone, and wave my arms at the same time. (good thing the truck has good alignment)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    lol, I remember the first time I spent 2 hours picking up needle bearings... pack some grease on em to hold em together.

is this out of your green jeep??? I passed you on the way to norridgewock, but I was in my service truck... tryin to drink a soda, talk on the phone, and wave my arms at the same time. (good thing the truck has good alignment)
    This transfer case is out of the white Jeep. We decided to upgrade this one, then just swap it in when the lift goes on. We're gonna do the same thing with the front axle. This should help minimize down-time. All the lift parts are in and I priced out some 33" BFGs today. I can get five 33x9.5x15 BFG T/A KOs mounted and balanced at Sam's club for $756.00--I thought that was pretty reasonable. It is gonna take some major fender trimming and bump-stopping to fit 33" meats with a 3" lift, though.

The white Jeep is pretty well stripped--the engine/tranny and front axle are about the only parts left to get off, then find someone who will haul off the carcass.

Quote Originally Posted by The G Team View Post
    This transfer case is out of the white Jeep. We decided to upgrade this one, then just swap it in when the lift goes on. We're gonna do the same thing with the front axle. This should help minimize down-time. All the lift parts are in and I priced out some 33" BFGs today. I can get five 33x9.5x15 BFG T/A KOs mounted and balanced at Sam's club for $756.00--I thought that was pretty reasonable. It is gonna take some major fender trimming and bump-stopping to fit 33" meats with a 3" lift, though.

The white Jeep is pretty well stripped--the engine/tranny and front axle are about the only parts left to get off, then find someone who will haul off the carcass.
    You mean you're not gunna keep the white jeep!?!?! that thing was practically mint condish!! Good luck getting the 33's to fit, I had a lot of rubbing with just the 30's had to cut some of the plastics underneath and beat the front end against some rocks a few times to make em fit...

. . . had to cut some of the plastics underneath and beat the front end against some rocks a few times to make em fit...
    Was that on Frye Mountain?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Was that on Frye Mountain?
    no frye mountiain was a pretty easy drive (with the exception of a few washouts) but I think that the rock pounding you're thinking of was... harris mt...

no frye mountiain was a pretty easy drive (with the exception of a few washouts) but I think that the rock pounding you're thinking of was... harris mt...
    Yup . . . I knew that . . . just had Frye Mt. on my mind yesterday.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Yup . . . I knew that . . . just had Frye Mt. on my mind yesterday.
    Ya gunna go sledding up Frye??

Ya gunna go sledding up Frye??
    Man, you must be a mind reader . . . that's why I had Frye Mt. on my mind. Just starting to plan out tomorrow's ride and I'm contemplating places to travel to.

Man, you must be a mind reader . . . that's why I had Frye Mt. on my mind. Just starting to plan out tomorrow's ride and I'm contemplating places to travel to.
    Mt. Frye was one of my favorite caches, took the Jeep up there a couple winters ago when we used to have snow... last summer we tried the cache in a view of knox, but just ended up driving around on the trails and backroads all over Frye, there's a lot of cool spots hidden around that Mt.