vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TB's Gone MIA

Default TB's Gone MIA

I received an email notification from GC.com this morning regarding one of my TB’s that was logged into a TB graveyard cache out in the middle of the Atlantic ocean today. http://http://www.geocaching.com/see...5-d4a659ac862d I went to look up the profile of the person who supposedly put it there and they just signed up yesterday on GC.com An apparent “newbie” w/ no logs, no finds, nothing.
    They go by the name of tbclean. Their profile is empty w/ no information except for an email address. He/She deletes their log entries after they log a TB in this graveyard. I put this cache on my watchlist and moments after I did that another geocacher posted a note on their TB cache page that their TB had just been logged into this same TB Graveyard by the same cacher, “tbclean”. He/she deleted that log too.
    If this person placed my TB in this graveyard cache, then they obviously had the TB tag number even if there was nothing attached to the tag. I would have thought that they would have contacted me first and asked me if I wanted the tag back before logging it in a graveyard cache. This is what a responsible cacher would do and my conscience would tell me to do. I mean how expensive is it to throw a TB tag in an envelope and put a $.39 stamp on it and mail it back to the owner?
    There is something fishy here and I think we are dealing w/ a sockpuppet acct. that wants to play games. They obviously know what they are doing. I sent them an email but have recieved no reply yet and the other cacher has not heard from them either. Coincidently both of our TB’s were last seen in caches within 11 miles of eachother.

I keep an excel spreadsheet of all the TB’s I have ever found and also their TB #’s.
    I do this only because in the past I’ve had geocachers pick up TB’s and immediately place in another cache and forgot to write down the number. And then they contacted me and asked me if I could give them the number.
    So technically if I wanted to play games I could go through my list and randomly pick out TB’s and log them into graveyard caches just to irk people off. Its not rocket science.

TB’s that go missing should only be able to be logged into these graveyard caches by the owner of the TB or a cache approver from GC.com via its activation number.

Isn’t it my decision to decide if my TB has been missing too long and when and where I should bury it?
    "It may be that your soul purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others" ~Steven Wright~
    I'm in my own little Lat/Lon

“Danse avec les Arbres”

Wow Nikki, I think you hit the nail right on the head with that one. Another thought that someone mentioned the tb in their log and this "tbclean" is just picking up numbers and dumping them in the graveyard. Yuck. Hope it works out for you.

I screwed up the link to the TB Graveyard cache page.
    Lets try it again...
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...5-d4a659ac862d

Three more people have posted same experience this morning....
    "It may be that your soul purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others" ~Steven Wright~

“Danse avec les Arbres”

While not related to these instances, Lee and I have both had TBs turn up missing recently. I feel worse for Lee's, as it was her first and was supposed to be a confidence booster so that she might be encouraged to hide her first cache. She was so excited when ForestNymph moved it and took several cute pictures of it, and placed it in one of her caches - Only to have it turn up missing soon after. Hopefully it will turn up someday, but a person can't help but be suspicious.

Mine was just an ugly 18 pound chunk of steel. No one would want to keep it, and it was placed on an island, so it's not likely somebody just grabbed it without bothering to sign the logbook in the cache unless they were a previous finder or the owner. I am hoping the owner took it caching out of state with him and am awaiting a reply. If not, it's hard not to be suspicious once again. If I have to I may make another one using the copy tag. But, if I had the choice between mine or Lee's showing up, I'd like to see hers.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

From reading the logs on that cache page, it appears that TBclean has and agenda to Clean out the TBs... Perhaps we should rig up a TB with a tracking device so that we can find out where this guy lives...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Mine was just an ugly 18 pound chunk of steel.
    I was wondering what that tb was. I was looking forward to seeing it, sorry it was gone
    I doubt the owner took it, there was no log in the logbook between you leaving it, and my visit, unless they stopped by to check on the cache and decided to move it along.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    I was wondering what that tb was. I was looking forward to seeing it, sorry it was gone
    I doubt the owner took it, there was no log in the logbook between you leaving it, and my visit, unless they stopped by to check on the cache and decided to move it along.
    I hope that's what they did - I have pulled a TB out of a cache without signing the logbook before, so maybe they did. Otherwise, I need to get a ream of paper and start writing a list of all my enemies...

Of course, maybe someone took it for the scrap steel. At the current prices, it'd be worth about $1.35!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Interesting the cache mentioned was archived as of today - while I was reading these posts and checking back and forth (1645 hours - 1700 hours). Probably because of the many posts about missing TBs.

I too had one missing a while ago. It mysteriously appeared again.

Agreed - for anyone to take TBs and not log them is not playing fair and ruins the game for all. Some folks, I do believe, just don't know how - all they need to go is ask.

brdad - I was floored yours went missing. Actually was going to try and go get it on the ice. Hope Lee's is found too. Also foxgloves maybe yours will be found as well.

I don't know where the bugs were taken from that were logged into the "graveyard" but one thing I did notice is that in the pages for some of them the numbers were readily visable. TB owners need to make sure photos like these are either edited or deleted because it allows folks to do bad things.

Hope this person get caught - red handed! Everyone beware and foxgloves thanks for posting!

After many emails back and forth today with otehr victims of this tbclean guy..., it appears that many of the TB"s logged into the Graveyard cache today were from caches in the Pennsylvania area... where they were last seen. The cache approver from PA contacted me directly for more information. They are investigating this "muggle" and have locked his account so you can't send him an email...
    The Graveyard cache has also been archived in the last few hours. The cache owner must have been getting tired of all the posts on his cache page which is too bad.
    I think the idea of a graveyard cache is a cool idea but should be used for TB owners ONLY to put their TB's to rest. Some of the previous logs before this all transpired were kind of funny and I enjoyed reading how their loved TB"s came to rest here...and the cache page picture of the graveyard is hysterical!
    Just goes to show it only takes one person to spoil the fun for everyone else.

“Danse avec les Arbres”

The Graveyard used to be a necessity since there was originally no way to mark a tb "missing" or "unknown location." With the addition of this feature, logs into the graveyard should have decreased a great deal. I agree though, some of the logs and stories were very interesting.