vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new player in town

Thumbs up A new player in town

Check out DeLorme's newest offering. A totally new GPS unit. This looks like it has some really cool features. I may have to give it a look.
    Happy Trails!

I dunno... I use a delorme earthmate reciever and software on my laptop, it's works out ok, but there's a lot of un-updated roads on it (and it's a 2006 edition, and the new rt3 in disgusta isn't even on it) the receiver is ok, usually accurate within 60ft, if ya do get one of these to try out ya gotta let me play with it too!
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    I dunno... I use a delorme earthmate reciever and software on my laptop, it's works out ok, but there's a lot of un-updated roads on it (and it's a 2006 edition, and the new rt3 in disgusta isn't even on it) the receiver is ok, usually accurate within 60ft, if ya do get one of these to try out ya gotta let me play with it too!
    Yes but you talking about the an addon for a laptop. I am sure that this is a little more accurate then that seeing it is a actual GPS unit. I for one would definitely look into this if I ever decide to get a new GPS. The Delorme mapping software far exceeds any other mapping software on the market in my opinion. I can not speak for this GPS though. I would have to go see one and try one out first before I bought it.
    Blazing Troll

This was discussed recently in the gc.com forums, might give you some additional info...

I remember reading somewhere the maps seemed slow to load as well, maybe it was in the Delorme forums. But it could be a good unit nonetheless. From what I gather, you have to pay for aerial/quads/satellite maps, which is the biggest reason I'd buy it. Not to mention I'd probably need a few large cards to hold all I wanted. I'd have to weigh in those costs.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Yes but you talking about the an addon for a laptop. I am sure that this is a little more accurate then that seeing it is a actual GPS unit. I for one would definitely look into this if I ever decide to get a new GPS. The Delorme mapping software far exceeds any other mapping software on the market in my opinion. I can not speak for this GPS though. I would have to go see one and try one out first before I bought it.
    I would hope that they would put a lil more time into somethin like this. (even though the delorme maps I had on my laptop were about 6 cd's) Personally my favorite mapping software has been the National Geographic versions. (I have their maps on about 26 cds, topos, trails, roads, and 3d) I think NG needs to make a unit.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Thumbs down Hold off!

I have purchased the Earthmate GPS PN-20 and have had numerous problems with it...from locking up, slow response and redraw, not handling many waypoints, not acquiring satellites and other frustrations. Delorme has a way to go to catch up. The best thing about the gps is the maps but it's not much good for geocaching or much else in this version. Wait for the 2nd generation.

Hmmm maybe you got a lemon there Frank. I have been reading Delorme's forums and also the GC forums and hadn't read of all the problems that you have described as having. I agree and think once all the bugs are out it might be a good GPS to look into. It's too bad that companies have to use the consumer as a guinea pig for all their new gadgets before introducing them the the public.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Hmmm maybe you got a lemon there Frank. I have been reading Delorme's forums and also the GC forums and hadn't read of all the problems that you have described as having. I agree and think once all the bugs are out it might be a good GPS to look into. It's too bad that companies have to use the consumer as a guinea pig for all their new gadgets before introducing them the the public.
    Actually, this is the SECOND one I have had. I sent the first one back because of worse problems that I described with the second one.

Default I am no longer on the fence

Due to the questionable reveiws, etc. etc. this makes up my mind about waiting for the next time, I am about to purchase the GARMIN MAP76cxs. I have had the orginal MAP76 for five years and love it, very user friendly, amoung other great features. I am ready for color, the new chip, usb ---an upgrade in general. This is my recommendation. or my 2cents worth.

Default Another thing...

I would like to add that Delorme is very responsive to any issues posted on their forums and will do anything they can to help. Everyone is pleased with tech support and quick replacement of defective or malfunctioning items. Some of the issues have been cleared up with firmware updates but I'm still working out other problems that others don't seem to be having. Will keep you posted.