vb:literal>

Thread: Server move coming up

Default Server move coming up

Sometime during the next week (between the 5th and the 9th) we will be moving the web site to a new server. We will be the proud owners of our own server. This is a big step for us and a scary step, but in the long run it will be worth it.

I have never done a move of this volume before and I can not say how long it should take. I would think not more then one day if everything goes well. The longest delay in getting the site back online will be waiting for the domain pointers to point to the new server. The worst case scenario is two days, but I have never had one take more then one day before.

I will post something as soon as I know when we are doing it. Right now the server is being sent to the data center Wednesday and we are hoping it will be put online and ready sometime Friday if all goes well, then we can start the process at the beginning on next week.

For those interested in what we are moving to the stats are listed below. We decided to play around with the small stuff and went for the gusto so to speak.

2x INTEL XEON 5345 2.33GHZ 1333MHZ FSB 8MB QUAD CORE
    4x 2048MB Memory giving us a total of 8GB of memory
    4x 250GB 16MB hard drive setup as raid 10
    1x 250GB 16MB as a backup drive
    1x 250GB 16MB as a spare drive
    Blazing Troll

Sounds great. How is the funding for this doing? I think I slacked last year and promised at least twice yet paid nothing. I think partly because I wanted to pay something other than the options on the paypal link. Perhaps there should be a random donation amount there.

Maybe we should set up a thread in the gc.com regional forums before the move so you can update us on what's happening, and we won't suffer from too much withdrawal.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Sounds great. How is the funding for this doing? I think I slacked last year and promised at least twice yet paid nothing. I think partly because I wanted to pay something other than the options on the paypal link.
    I believe I can speak for Rick in saying that CASH is ALWAYS welcome! LOL!

As Bruce said donations are alway welcome. The initial cost of this server has set me back a lot and has taken away any overhead I had. In the long run this should be worth it though.

We are still piggy backing off the WhiteBlaze server because there is no way we could afford to rent or own our own server for a geocaching web site. WhiteBlaze is the one that is paying for everything and any donations that come in here go to help pay for the monthly server cost that are not cheap.

To help explain the server cost for what it would cost us to host our own geocaching web site it would cost us a minimum of $50 a month just for server space and bandwidth we use now and that is not including the software renewals and upgrades that go into it each year and anything else. So we are getting out of this dirt cheap. The donations we get for this web site do not cover this, but this is not a issue because I own WhiteBlaze and as long as I own it and the other Admin's of WhiteBlaze do not start complaining then there is no issue.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I believe I can speak for Rick in saying that CASH is ALWAYS welcome! LOL!

The problem with cash is you have to remember at the right time. When you suffer from CRS like I do, web is easier. ;-)
    Last edited by brdad; 03-05-2007 at 05:34 PM. Reason: testing
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I made a mistake. I will not be moving the web site right away. I forgot this web site is on another server, Dah!. I will be moving it but not this week. I will do it after I get all the other minor web sites moved. I will keep everyone informed.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I made a mistake. I will not be moving the web site right away. I forgot this web site is on another server, Dah!. I will be moving it but not this week. I will do it after I get all the other minor web sites moved. I will keep everyone informed.
    Sheesh! Get us all excited and then let us down! LOL!

We still love you, Rick!

Oh, we will move. It will be after I have all my little web sites moved and ironed out. Then we will move to the new server. The good thing about not moving with all the other web sites is that now this site will not be one of the Genni pig sites that is being used to test the new server. This way when we do move it should be quick and easy and all the problems will be ironed out before hand.

Well that is the theory. LOL
    Blazing Troll