Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Almost one million members

Default Almost one million members

As geocachingmaine.org approaches 1000 members, geocaching.com is quickly approaching 1,000,000 members.
    At 8:30 last night, there were 998,562 members.
    At the time of this post, there are 998,789 members.
    That's 227 members in about 6.5 hours.
    At that rate, we would hit 1,000,000 members about 6 PM tomorrow.

What time do you think it'll happen?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Wink

WOW!
    That means there are soon to be 1,000,0000 crazy addicts out there searching for tupperware in " them thar hills" not including the regular crazy people...and Hiram of course

I'll say GC.com will hit 1M members by 8:00 PM EST
    "It may be that your soul purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others" ~Steven Wright~
    I'm in my own little Lat/Lon

“Danse avec les Arbres”

Wow, now wonder they have there own offices now and have turned this into a business. With them approaching 1,000,000 members and if you figure just half of those members are premium members of their web site then they are bringing in $17,500,000 a year. That is a lot of money.
    Blazing Troll

That's nothing! Think of $30 (or more) for gas, $20 (or more) for snacks, $5 (or more). If even 10% of the cachers spend $60 per week, that's over $300 million a year into local economies around the world!
    Last edited by tat; 02-28-2007 at 01:26 PM. Reason: clearify per year

We're at 998960 right now.

Rick, the problem is, there is nowhere near that percentage of paying members. For one thing, many of the accounts are people who signed up and never cached, or found one and didn't like it, created an account then changed their name, as well as sock puppet accounts and the like.

I'm not sure what the actual numbers are, but if you consider that of the 200,000 cachers registered in the gc.com forums, 49191 are premium members and 1752 are charter members, so that's about a quarter of them that are paying. And I think it's a logical assumption that a higher percentage of cachers visiting the forums would be paying members than those of the general geocaching population.

Granted, they must be making a decent income in order to pay for all their servers and 12 or more employees.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    We're at 998960 right now.

Rick, the problem is, there is nowhere near that percentage of paying members. For one thing, many of the accounts are people who signed up and never cached, or found one and didn't like it, created an account then changed their name, as well as sock puppet accounts and the like.

I'm not sure what the actual numbers are, but if you consider that of the 200,000 cachers registered in the gc.com forums, 49191 are premium members and 1752 are charter members, so that's about a quarter of them that are paying. And I think it's a logical assumption that a higher percentage of cachers visiting the forums would be paying members than those of the general geocaching population.

Granted, they must be making a decent income in order to pay for all their servers and 12 or more employees.
    I realized that about the accounts that is why I was only figuring half which your right is probably still to high of a number.

OK, if there are 49191 premium members then that is at least $1,721,685 per year coming in from the premium members and this does not include donations, revenues from ads and sales from there store items and probablky other things I am not thinking of. That is still a lot of money and if you add in these other factors I am sure it would double that amount.
    Blazing Troll

Default You never know what will become of some projects...

Currently at 999007

Here's a snippet from mailing list made by Jeremy Sept of 2000.. little did he know!

Jeremy wrote:
    As for banner advertising, I'll never even hope to recoop the costs of working on this project, but if I can at least pay for bandwidth with any kind of revenue I get - it is preferable than asking for money. This is a pet project (and hobby). Hobbies don't make any money. I also won't plague the site with advertising - I'll only use those companies that I find provide a service to the group - and will make it complementary to the site.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

There are now 999162 members. I think it may happen tonight, despite my earlier calculations!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

I think it will be at 9:35
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character

Just checked and there is 999,290