vb:literal>

Thread: What is the Protocol?

Default What is the Protocol?

How do you go about adopting a cache that is in dire need of maintenance but in which the owner has not been active on GC.com for 3 years and is not responding to log entries stating the cache needs help?
    I sent an email to the cache owner but have not gotten a reply yet and am not sure I will.
    If I do not hear back, what is the next step?

I suppose I could just replace the cache w/ a waterproof (log only)container and keep the cache on my watchlist so I can keep track of it myself if the owner isn't geocaching anymore. I also realize I could probably place another cache the required distance from this cache but I haven't been to this location yet myself. I planning on hiking there in a few weeks and would like to either replace the existing container or place a whole new cache up there. while I am there. I have never adopted a cache and not sure how to go about it if the cache owner isn't responding.
    any suggestions?
    "It may be that your soul purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others" ~Steven Wright~
    I'm in my own little Lat/Lon

“Danse avec les Arbres”

d’76 Guest

You could post a needs maintance but if the cacher has not been active then that wont help. You can request it be archived then just place another cache there.

Or you could ask your local cache approver if you can adopt it. (Don't think our regular approver - GPSFun - does Vermont. Which is too bad for you - he's GREAT - and has even come to a couple of our geocaching events.)

I'm not sure but I think if it is adopted you have to have permission from the previous owner. If the approver sees the needs maintenance or archive icon and he attempts to contact the owner with no response after a reasonable amount of time then he will archive it and then you can put a new cache there. What's the GC number of it?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    I'm not sure but I think if it is adopted you have to have permission from the previous owner. If the approver sees the needs maintenance or archive icon and he attempts to contact the owner with no response after a reasonable amount of time then he will archive it and then you can put a new cache there. What's the GC number of it?
    It is GCKNZD Mt.Kearasage. I see the last few logs commented on the cache being soaked. The owner has not visited GC.com since 2004.

BTW Whererwe, GPSfun is VT's cache aprover too.

I'm not sure if he can archive it based on the last few log entries. He may have to wait till someone actually posts a needs archive note. I can't do that until I actually visit the cache myself which won't be for a few more weekends. I think I'll plan on just replaceing the cache container w/ a log only small waterproof box if I can't get it adopted in time before I go there...This is a great place for a cache and I hate to see it go.
    "It may be that your soul purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others" ~Steven Wright~
    I'm in my own little Lat/Lon

“Danse avec les Arbres”

Or, you could "adopt" it unofficially. That's what I do with one cache. I don't get credit for maintaining it, but it's in a good spot and it was easier just to keep it going (been 3 years now! LOL!)