vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Atlanta, Georgia

Hybrid View

Thumbs down Hello from Atlanta, Georgia

I decided to join this forum to learn about some of your can't miss geocaches in the Portland, ME area and along the coast. My wife and I have a trip planned to come to Portland and drive the coast into Canada. We will be in the area from June 13, 2007 through June 26, 2007. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello!

Sounds like you will be coming at a great time of year.
    We'll be glad to help, but what kind of caches do you like? Micros? Multis? Long walks? Or just want to be shown some of Maine's great features no matter what the cache entails? Where are you going in Canada, any idea of a general route?
    Last edited by brdad; 03-14-2007 at 03:28 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Our itinerary will be to fly to Portland, ME and stay there a couple of days. From there we plan to drive along the coast and stop at quaint locations along the way. We want to spend a couple of days in the New Foundland area of Canada as well. We like interesting caches that take us to interesting places. The cache size is of no major importance.

Quote Originally Posted by Osceola View Post
    Our itinerary will be to fly to Portland, ME and stay there a couple of days. From there we plan to drive along the coast and stop at quaint locations along the way. We want to spend a couple of days in the New Foundland area of Canada as well. We like interesting caches that take us to interesting places. The cache size is of no major importance.
    The Bar Harbor/Acadia Natl. Park area is very cool area (there are a few caches down that way that I've done but can't recall the names off the top of my head, but if you we're to do a pocket query of the area that would probably give you a better idea)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

LOL! I don't think there is any such thing as "spending a couple of days" in New Foundland! LOL! My sister is planning a trip to New Foundland this summer, asked my advice since we were there a couple of years ago, and I told her to spend AT LEAST 10 days - counting a day each way on the ferry. It's a good 13-15 hours to the ferry landing from my home in central Maine, and 6-7 hours crossing time. Here's a ferry schedule.

I decided to join this forum to learn about some of your can't miss geocaches in the Portland, ME area and along the coast. My wife and I have a trip planned to come to Portland and drive the coast into Canada. We will be in the area from June 13, 2007 through June 26, 2007. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well you caught my attention with the thumbs down! (I thought we were gunna get yelled at from Georgia ) I haven't done a whole lot of caches on the coast, but if you're going up to Canada I would suggest planning a day round the presque isle and caribou area, the old air force base caches up there are some of my favorites. (there's lots in that area, some historical, some walking, some micro, and some just wierd...)

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    Well you caught my attention with the thumbs down! (I thought we were gunna get yelled at from Georgia ) I haven't done a whole lot of caches on the coast, but if you're going up to Canada I would suggest planning a day round the presque isle and caribou area, the old air force base caches up there are some of my favorites. (there's lots in that area, some historical, some walking, some micro, and some just wierd...)
    I think the part of Canada that they're planning on entering is more along the lines of the coastal portion of New Brunswick.

I also noticed the thumbs-down sign and wasn't quite sure what that was for . . . thumbs down because they only have so little time to cache, thumbs down because we haven't listed out key caches for coastal routes, thumbs down because they're hitchhiking and figure that's the "Maine" way . . . I'm kind of curious myself.

As Brdad said . . . knowing types of caches you like and how long you want to spend on them and in what areas you'll be staying are important. For example, I loved the Boot Cove cache, but this is not a grab-and-go and to get the full effect you really need to do the entire loop and not take the shortest trail to the cache and back.

If you do head towards New Brunswick and you have some time I would highly encourage you to go to Campobello Island for a half day or a whole day . . . there are some great caches there, fantastic scenery and some of those crazy Canadians living there aren't half bad either . . . plus you can learn all about FDR and his summer home.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    I think the part of Canada that they're planning on entering is more along the lines of the coastal portion of New Brunswick.

I also noticed the thumbs-down sign and wasn't quite sure what that was for . . . thumbs down because they only have so little time to cache, thumbs down because we haven't listed out key caches for coastal routes, thumbs down because they're hitchhiking and figure that's the "Maine" way . . . I'm kind of curious myself.

As Brdad said . . . knowing types of caches you like and how long you want to spend on them and in what areas you'll be staying are important. For example, I loved the Boot Cove cache, but this is not a grab-and-go and to get the full effect you really need to do the entire loop and not take the shortest trail to the cache and back.

If you do head towards New Brunswick and you have some time I would highly encourage you to go to Campobello Island for a half day or a whole day . . . there are some great caches there, fantastic scenery and some of those crazy Canadians living there aren't half bad either . . . plus you can learn all about FDR and his summer home.

hey, there is canada over (would it be over there or down there? because it is downeast, so would it be up down there? or over down there?) there... sheesh, that thing is everywhere! I don't think I've done any caches over there.

Thanks for the information. Please disregard the thumbs down icon. I really didn't know what it was until you and another member pointed it out to me.

Well, based on that...

There are many in Portland, but among those that I'd consider of special interest to someone from away:

Liberty Ships at Bug Light (GC512E) by C5B (2/1)
    The Fort Williams Cache (GC128) by Richard Amirault (adopted by kayakerinme) (1/1.5)
    We don't need no education (GC2A46) by khali1 (adopted by TeamHorwich) (2.5/1.5)

And working my way up the coast..

What in the World Cache? (GC6D43) by Ghosthunter (1/1)
    Thorne Head Challenge (GCGZHC) by Ye Olde Prospector (3/3)
    Shell Game (GCG6Y2) by IntotheWoods (1.5/1.5)
    Beech Hill Cache (GCJD3Z) by luvweather (1.5/2.5)
    Patty's Mount Battie (GCC0E) by Patty-G / CCC / JF (1.5/2)
    Gravity Outlaw (GC9488) by quietbert (1.5/1.5)
    Summer Rental (GCWV11) by ImKukie (1/1)
    The Narrows (GCZW5X) by parmachenee (2/2.5)

That's gets you up to Bucksport, I'll see what I can come up for the rest later.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."