vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Some Rookie Questions

Default Just Some Rookie Questions

1. I've been fumbling and poking through my GPS trying to figure it out. I think I have it figured out enough to use it. It's a Magellan eXplorist 210. It came with topo map software. I prompty uploaded Maine to my GPS and loved all the features. The extra information was helpful while looking for my first two. The next time I used the GPS the map information had been "dumped"?? from the GPS memory. All that remained was the map information preloaded from the company. My POI's and Geocache points where still saved. Any Magellan users have any ideas? Did I push a button that I should not have pushed? Do I have a messed up unit? I don't want to get out in the woods and have the unit "dump" info.

2. I believe that I now have my wife hooked on geocashing. She has now set up an account on geocashing.com. Most of the time we will be hunting together. Is it ok for both of us to post a find if we found it together?

Thanks for your help! I'm sure that I will have more.

I can't help you much with #1, unless it's just a setting to control Map detail. Someone here will know I am sure.

As far as #2, Go right ahead and log them seperately. It will help in the future if either of you do any alone, and it's nice to see what the other person writes about the adventure. Msteelee and myself had seperate accounts and had each cached before we met, and we still log seperately. We like it that way.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by ten44ten32 View Post
    1. I've been fumbling and poking through my GPS trying to figure it out. I think I have it figured out enough to use it. It's a Magellan eXplorist 210. It came with topo map software. I prompty uploaded Maine to my GPS and loved all the features. The extra information was helpful while looking for my first two. The next time I used the GPS the map information had been "dumped"?? from the GPS memory. All that remained was the map information preloaded from the company. My POI's and Geocache points where still saved. Any Magellan users have any ideas? Did I push a button that I should not have pushed? Do I have a messed up unit? I don't want to get out in the woods and have the unit "dump" info.

2. I believe that I now have my wife hooked on geocashing. She has now set up an account on geocashing.com. Most of the time we will be hunting together. Is it ok for both of us to post a find if we found it together?

The problem you have with your GPS is that you hit the "on" button. Being a Magellan only the Fates know where it will lead you...LOL Seriously, has this "memory dump" happened only the one time or on several different occasions?

Moving on to your next question. There is no reason why you and your wife cannot log the same "find" individually. It happens all the time especially if we cache with friends. There really is no competition in this sport and those with a higher number of finds only indicates that they have been at it longer or have more time to get out and geocache. I've even heard rumors that some folks have created geocaching accounts for their dogs and log the caches that their pet has been to. Thats the great thing about geocaching, it's there for everyone to enjoy at their own speed and in their own way.

Have Fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun View Post
    I've even heard rumors that some folks have created geocaching accounts for their dogs and log the caches that their pet has been to.
    I can bear that; it's when the dog "hides" the cache and the owners log the find that make me wonder!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Hmmm . . . I have the Explorist210 as well . . . it's a nice unit. Inexpensive, but packed with all the features you need and it's very accurate. I bought it as a back-up GPS unit secondary to my color Magellan Meridian and now I use it much, much more than my color unit even.

In answer to your question . . . I'm not quite sure how you would have deleted the topo map unless you restarted the GPS unit perhaps. Make sure your map's features are adjusted to show more detail. Another thing you can check is go to menu, then active set-up. You should see the map you downloaded into the GPS under the "detail map" section (a box listed under the base map set-up) -- for example, my "detail map's" name is MaineNH. If this doesn't help, let me know.

Second question . . . the "rules" of geocaching are pretty loose and I don't think anyone would have a problem with you and your wife logging separate finds . . . some couples do this and some couples log together.

Incidentally, geocaching is spelled "geocaching", but pronounced "geocashing."
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I can't help you much with #1, unless it's just a setting to control Map detail. Someone here will know I am sure.
    This is what I personally think may have happened . . . this has happened to me occasionally (i.e. when I've changed batteries) . . . the unit resets itself to the default setting with not as much detail.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

well it seems like everyone gave some pretty good answers. so just my two cents on question #1, I would try taking the batteries out of the unit, and put those batteries into a Garmin unit, and all your problems should be solved. But keep the Magellan handy, they make great door stops.

P.S.
    as you will find out through browsing on the site, there is a fine line (about 2 miles wide) between Magellan user (Jake) and the Garmin Users. There are quite a few very humorous threads about the rivalry between the two. All the jokes are meant in good fun (even though Garmins are better) Both brands make a pretty good GPSr and are pretty equal in terms of their functions and capabilities (ok I lied, Garmins rule) Just thought I would clear that so that you don't think people on the site dislike you because of your choice of GPSr (magellan user... )
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Don't worry I'm not giving up on my Magellan yet. At this point I'm pretty sure that it's operator error.

I have yet to have the need to change batteries. Maybe the brand of batteries. I put in cheapies "rite aid brand". Maybe I should put in the BUNNY.

Don't worry I'm not giving up on my Magellan yet. At this point I'm pretty sure that it's operator error.

I have yet to have the need to change batteries. Maybe the brand of batteries. I put in cheapies "rite aid brand". Maybe I should put in the BUNNY.
    It may be just a myth, but I've been told that the quality, type, and health of the battery do make a difference on the GPSr. In my experience I have had problems when the life of my batteries are reaching an end. I have also had problems with rechargeable batteries. Not sure how true it is but that's my experience. (my new garmin also has a feature that allows you to select what type of battery you're using, so it must make some kind of difference)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    well it seems like everyone gave some pretty good answers. so just my two cents on question #1, I would try taking the batteries out of the unit, and put those batteries into a Garmin unit, and all your problems should be solved. But keep the Magellan handy, they make great door stops.

P.S.
    as you will find out through browsing on the site, there is a fine line (about 2 miles wide) between Magellan user (Jake) and the Garmin Users. There are quite a few very humorous threads about the rivalry between the two. All the jokes are meant in good fun (even though Garmins are better) Both brands make a pretty good GPSr and are pretty equal in terms of their functions and capabilities (ok I lied, Garmins rule) Just thought I would clear that so that you don't think people on the site dislike you because of your choice of GPSr (magellan user... )
    Sure he says this now, but I seem to recall following a certain person who shall remain nameless (let's just say his name rhymes with "Baron") who led us astray more than a few times with his legendary Garmin on a Tread Lightly event . . . and if memory serves me correctly this same person was pretty quick to call a certain Magellan user up when he couldn't find the Behind the School cache. That said, some of my best friends are Garmin abusers, I mean users.