vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Relay For Life

Lightbulb Relay For Life

Hi folks..... I have a thought. It occurs to me that many organizations or groups have a "cause" that they rally around or support. Bikers have Toys for Tots, Shriners have their burn center, Kiwanis supports pediatric trauma, etc. I'm not aware of any cause that has caught the fancy of the geocaching world but I'd like to make a suggestion. Cancer is the leading cause of death for Americans up to the age of 85. I'm a 5-year cancer survivor, there are numerous geocaching cancer survivors in Maine, and there are some who are undergoing treatment right now. I'll bet each of you knows someone who has battled cancer. Each year the American Cancer Society puts on their "Relay For Life" fund raisers (21 in Maine this year) where people get pledges, form teams, camp out at the event, and walk around a track. It's an 18 hour event and someone from each team is on the track at all times. Since there are 21 events around the state I would think there would be a Relay For Life within striking distance for most geocachers. I think it would be great to have a geocaching team at each of those Relays. Think about it....do you like to get out and walk? Do you like going to events with other geocachers? Do you like camping out? Seems to me that geocachers would be naturals for an event like this. Participating in a Relay For Life would bring us together AND would bring our sport to the attention of many other people here in Maine. There is a Relay in Ellsworth on June 13/14 and I've entered a geocaching team. If anyone would like to join in, just let me know.

Lee and I have walked in the Relay For Life in Old Town the past two years as part of the Dead River team. It is a good cause. We both have had several friends battle cancer. Since Lee is not here to ask and we never can plan that far ahead, I cannot commit, but it would be great if a team large enough could be assembled.

Too bad it could not be held as a caching event as well. But rules are rules...

Maybe you could have whoever s making the current lap carry a dedicated GPS and track how many miles were walked....
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

This sounds GREAT! My wife and I would love to attend but my youger brother graduates 8th grade on the 13th and my family is going camping to celebrate. Keep me in mind for next time!!!!!

I just participated in the " Relay for Life" down here about 3 weeks ago and you wouldn't believe the turnout for it. It ran for 24 hours straight at the local high school stadium and track facility and they raised over 100,000 dollars. Quite the experience!!!!
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I am hosting a Meet & Greet near the site on Saturday after everything winds up. There has never been an event in Ellsworth so - why not?! Here is the number GC1C9GF.

There are many reasons why this event is near and dear to me - but it doesn't matter here. If you can - support this event - that would be great. There will be some of us participating.

We would love to see lots at the Meet and Greet. EMSDanel has promised us some new caches in the area and there are already some nice ones already. Hope to see some of you there.

Annnnnnd......if you camp out and participate in the Relay you'd be right there for the Meet and Greet...how convenient!

Dan sounds like a worthwhile cause.....Cheryl has to work that weekend but I'm pretty sure I can attend. How many people do we need so we aren't walking continuous day and night.

Most teams are 12-15 people. The track in Ellsworth is a very nice rubberized track and easy walking, but you're right, you don't want to be out there ALL the time. Most teams schedule their walkers for specific 30 or 60 minute intervals to break it up. Also, there's quite a bit of "socializing" that goes on when folks are not out on the track. Great to see you on board!

My wife and I did it for the local snowmobile club last year. Unfortunately, as I have had no medical insurance of my own for over a year and a half, I need to be careful with the little amount of money I have to tend my own needs and should cut back on $60 gas trips to get to places like Ellsworth. Good luck with it though.

I wish I could help but am allready committed to the Trek Across Maine that weekend.