vb:literal>

Thread: BDN covers Waymarking

Hybrid View

Default BDN covers Waymarking

I don't know if anyone else saw it, but Tuesday's Bangor Daily News had a well written article on waymarking. I couldn't find a link, but the same article was in the Tacoma News Tribune.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/soundl...-5744266c.html

Default I saw that too

I was hope to find a link as well. I don't do waymarking, but it looks like a fun game too.
    Happy Trails!

Default Waymarking

Andy - I also saw the article. It was a good one. Waymarking is a different dimension of using the GPS for family fun.

Are you discussing the waymarking link? It is http://www.waymarking.com and you may use your groundspeak ID. I have published a few of these already in the greater Bangor area.

You get a count on your profile, I think, but it doesn't add to your overall count of founds. So this isn't for those in the numbers game.

It can bring you to fun to find places that may not be approriate for cache placement.

I played some when it first came out and created a few of my own but very seldom do they get visited. Each to his own and basically it took the place of the locationless caches so it wouldn't take up the servor space on GC.com.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    I played some when it first came out and created a few of my own but very seldom do they get visited. Each to his own and basically it took the place of the locationless caches so it wouldn't take up the servor space on GC.com.
    I was all for them moving Locationless to Waymarking - Locationless caches might be interesting, but they are really nothing like real caches. I do, however, wish they had kept the virtuals on gc.com - they had their place, and Maine has & had some decent ones.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I was all for them moving Locationless to Waymarking - Locationless caches might be interesting, but they are really nothing like real caches. I do, however, wish they had kept the virtuals on gc.com - they had their place, and Maine has & had some decent ones.
    I agree 100% . . . my main issue with locationless caches was that so many had a stipulation that only one location could be counted as a find -- OK I suppose if you're looking for Chinese Restaurants or Pizza places, but a lot more difficult when you're looking for a suspension bridge or steam locomotive -- it seemed in this case the person closest to the place or with the most time would get the find and everyone else would be out of luck.

I do like virtual caches however since there truly are times when you want to show folks a neat place and you don't want to or cannot do a responsible hide . . . some of my favorite caches in fact have been virtuals -- Gravity Outlaw stands out as one of those along with a few in Acadia, the Judge's gravestone in Bar Harbor, etc. Perhaps there were too many people doing the "lazy" thing however and opting to go with virtual caches when they could have and should have gone with a traditional cache.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I also think the one drawback with virtuals was that unless it involved going to the actual location and getting some specific information that could be obtained from actually being there or taking a picture, then the armchair or couch potato cacher could do it right from their home without leaving. For me one of the reasons I took up caching was to get me out and enjoy nature
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.