vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wireless internet security

d’76 Guest

Default wireless internet security

I spoke with a verizon chat rep tonight and was a bit confused by the end of the conversation.

Heres what I want to do.

I want to limit access to the net through my router. The gentleman that I spoke with said it was impossible (unless i want to disable the wireless and put a cable in the back of the laptop). When I mentioned that I have seen screens that say "security enabled wireless network" he said all that means is that you cannot access the network but can still access the internet. However when I try to access that network I need a password in order to go to the next step. I need some input in normal talk none of the fancy geek talk. Any help would be cool.

THanks!

Dave1976,

Are you looking to limit access through the wireless part of your router or the router itself?
    I said WHAT!!! You just took me the wrong way......

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by team teebow View Post
    Dave1976,

Are you looking to limit access through the wireless part of your router or the router itself?

I dont want to have folks sitting in the street using my connection to the internet. I live in a very close neighbor hood and realized that any of my neigbors could be using my connection to the web. I dont want them to be able to do that.

Dave,

If you enable Wep on the router it will prevent others from accessing the internet through your conection. It is kinda like a lock on your door, it will prevent most from getting in as long as they are not smart enough and determined enough to get around it. Let me know and I can call you and try to help you with it. I am going to need some more info on what equipment you have. Also there may be other methods that are availible to you to encrypt and lock down your conection but a wep key is widely used and for the most part affective to prevent most from getting on.

Robt

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    I dont want to have folks sitting in the street using my connection to the internet. I live in a very close neighbor hood and realized that any of my neigbors could be using my connection to the web. I dont want them to be able to do that.
    Oh you mean what we do when we are on the road and stop to get onto someone else's network to get online?........ Don't you just love Netstumbler?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Robt has it. You can enable WEP and no one can get to your wireless unless they know the password.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Robt has it. You can enable WEP and no one can get to your wireless unless they know the password.
    Take a look at the claims of this freeware: Cain and Abel. Its sells itself as a "password recovery" tool but is actually used to bust into peoples wireless networks and steal your passwords. Where there is a will there is a way.

I do agree that you should not leave your network open and should take advantage of all the security measures you can. "Wardrivers" are looking for easy targets therefore even a 64 bit WEP would keep out most.

my 2 cents

Cache On!!!

On my wireless, I also have an acess list set up. This list tells which MAC addresses are allowed to connect. It's not foolproof, but it's another step to keep others out. Check your router settings to see if you have that feature.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Make sure to change the password to your router as well--the default usernames and passwords are well known (complete lists available with a quick Google search).

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Oh you mean what we do when we are on the road and stop to get onto someone else's network to get online?........ Don't you just love Netstumbler?
    Sheesh! You mean I'm NOT the only one who does this? LOL!