vb:literal>

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Maine Cache and Cache Hider Stats

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    Technically, Tidal Earthcache is a conversion from a virtual. This is a very fine point as it was the the first actual earthcache in Maine. It is not as old as it appears. There were many earthcaches before Tidal Earthcache was converted, but the placed date is reflects the day the virtual was placed, not when it was converted. I only bring this up because it is posible that some of the other data may be flawed in this manor also.

How about adding the highest and lowest caches?
    Yes, just like your spelling of manner is flawed.

But you are right, much of the information will be skewed. However, in your case, Tidal Earthcache is still Maine's first Earthcache.

There are several caches that have been converted to different types and sizes from their original.

And this goes for teh maps as well - I only used an average, which is not perfect by any means, but from my calculations only about 1 mile off, which you could never tell using the scale maps I am using. And, since multi and puzzle caches rarely use the true coordinates, so the averages are flawed anyway. But still fun to look at

As far as the highest and lowest... There is no elevation data in the database, but I could hand edit it in... I'm Sure Sights to Behole is the highest, but what's the lowest? Tidal Earthcache?
    Last edited by brdad; 04-20-2007 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Corected Spelling - Thanks, Haffy ;-)
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

BTW Dave, what program(s) or process do you use to generate the map of Maine with caches?

I'll take any ideas you have!

I'll have to look at the chart generation part to see if and how that could be done. I originally had every year in series, but I liked this format better, it makes it easier to compare years.

As far as the cache density map, I am allready looking into this. Another cacher has what was originally linux based code which produces a Google
    kml file which does just about what you are saying. We got it working on Windows but I need to play with it some more, as in my last attempt at making a file for the entire state it created a 25 MB file, a bit too hefty.

If you know of a way to load 2331 waypoints into Photoshop, I'll try that route.

Quote Originally Posted by ribnag View Post
    Kudos! Nice work!

I have two suggestions, if you want them (no criticism! Just ideas, if you still have too much free time )

For the trend-over-time graphs (monthly cache approvals and archivals), a "color impaired" viewer (such as myself) may have trouble seeing the color corresponding to each year. Putting the labels right in the year lines would make that a bit more clear. And yes, for the record, I had to photoshop EaglEyeStash to solve it ).

For the cache density map, rather than squares, give each point a gaussian splatter, then normalize over the whole map and translate that to a color (like blue to red). At the scale you have it, a radius of 4 or 5 pixels per SD should give a nice effect.

But looks good... I never realized the NE corner of the state had so many caches.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    BTW Dave, what program(s) or process do you use to generate the map of Maine with caches?
    Visual Basic creates the *.wpt file, which I load into OziExplorer. Oziexplorer can take any image and create a coordinate calibrated file from it. I've used ti several times with the maps that you get at trailheads.

The Map image itself is edited from a popular series...
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Yes, just like your spelling of manner is flawed.

But you are right, much of the information will be skewed. However, in your case, Tidal Earthcache is still Maine's fisrst Eatchcache.
    And your spelling of first Earthcache is flawed as well.... or was that meant to be read that way?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Talking Touche'

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    And your spelling of first Earthcache is flawed as well.... or was that meant to be read that way?
    His fingers work faster than his mind a little I thinks...
    Happy Trails!

... teh ... ti ..
    are you sure you want to count spelling?

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    His fingers work faster than his mind a little I thinks...
    Well, they don't have to be too fast to do that...
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Any idea what the elevation of Tidal Earthcache is? I get -15 feet.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Any idea what the elevation of Tidal Earthcache is? I get -15 feet.
    When I placed it, it was exactly -1.9 feet. It's hard to tell what the elevation is today. There is a jetty 8 miles away that is causing beach errosion at Camp Ellis (it's been on the news a lot this week!). All of that sand ends up on my cache! When the sand builds up too much, they dredge it out. So my cache is constantly being built up and torn down.

How about the newest cache?