vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ET Go home

Default ET Go home

Here is an excerpt I copied:

The following is from one of the COs:

I'm afraid I have some news that will be disappointing to you. The Nevada DOT has demanded that the ET Hwy series be immediately archived and the Nevada Attorney General is involved. We will have a group of admins working on this project since it is so big, and request ...that you help by archiving some of them yourself. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding."

Even after we had this issue resolved, the continued careless negligence of so many cachers has finally done this trail in. The ET caches are all being archived as we speak. If cachers continue this type of unsafe and uncaring behavior, I'm sure other trails will be in jeopardy as well. A few bad apples sure did spoil the bunch!
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    Even after we had this issue resolved, the continued careless negligence of so many cachers has finally done this trail in. The ET caches are all being archived as we speak. If cachers continue this type of unsafe and uncaring behavior, I'm sure other trails will be in jeopardy as well. A few bad apples sure did spoil the bunch!
    What was the issue? Can you provide a link to a discussion on this?

Unhappy Portland to North Conway

I have also seen in the news recently that the rails to trails from Westbrook to Standish will soon again have it's rails laid and train service will be back. There will be no room for the walking trail alongside the rails, so it will have to be discontinued. This was in no part an issue with geocaching, but part of the stimulus package voted on by Maine citizens.

So in this case it will be ....trails to rails. I plan on getting as many of the caches done along the trail before they start the construction on the first 5 miles.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Default Sorry..

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    This was something i picked up on Facebook today. Don't remember where exactly.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    There have been a few threads going in the national forums. Do a search for highway and they'll be at the top.

Any bets on whether I am surprised or not?

That aside, what disturbs me the most is a few people are blaming the cachers finding the series. These caches were placed to be found quickly and in big numbers, and anyone should assume that is going to increase the chance of finders cutting all the corners they can to do so. For anyone to suggest the series was placed thinking all cachers would thoughtfully and casually do each one in this series is foolish IMO.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default ET Series

I haven't looked at the national forums, rarely do, but I did do 200 of these caches and have a few thoughts about what likely happened.

The ET Highway is remote and mostly straight as straight can be in most places. The shoulder of the road slopes away from the paved portion in a very gentle slope. Pulling entirely off the road to access the caches is what I did. When I exited the car there was a solid 10 feet of shoulder between the driver's side of the car and the pavement.

Many of the caches were hidden 25 to 40 feet away from the paved part of the road. Geotrails would have been unlikely as there is only low growth plants so trampling on these probably wasn't the issue. Many film cannisters were hidden in under small rock piles put together by the CO.

But many were also placed in the nook at the bottom of highway sign/markers. For these and for those in a "hurry" the tempation would have been high to just pull along side the sign and not leave the driving lane especially if you had passengers who could jump out and have the cache right at their feet. This wouldn't be a problem safety wise for most of these caches but then there are those located on the rare corners and slopes. I'm sure this is why the highway department got involved because most of the vehicular traffic I saw was largely commercial trucks and with a 75 MPH speed limit, cars stopped for caches in the travel lane in a corner would have created a very dangerous condition. This must have been the issue.

While not for all, I really enjoyed the raw beauty of the area and the opportunity to do so many caches by myself in one day. As always, it's usually the inconsiderate practices of a very small minority that can ruin it the rest of us.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

One would also assume, Dan, that if there was a need for snowplows on the road, there was probably snow build up on the road, so most people would probably not dare pull of to the side too far anyway.

I think this is an issue with many roadside caches, but it's amplified when you have so many on one road.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Here lies the remains of the ET series:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	etrun.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	572  
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Another large series along Rt. 66 out there has 800 caches and some have a note in the description that warns cachers not to let happen to this series what happened to the ET series. I would love to head out there for a few days and just see how many I could get.

Quote Originally Posted by Fins_Up View Post
    Another large series along Rt. 66 out there has 800 caches and some have a note in the description that warns cachers not to let happen to this series what happened to the ET series. I would love to head out there for a few days and just see how many I could get.
    You know, I have had a Rt 66 trip on my Bucket List for a few years but have only done 300 miles of it. It was going to be a photography trip and I could see it lasting several weeks. That was in my pre-geocaching days. I can only imagine how long it would take to finish the 2500ish miles between the photography, exploring every abandoned building, and the caching!