vb:literal>

Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Maine Cache and Cache Hider Stats

AS of right now I have 2431 Found Maine caches. Most of those have been done since July of 2005.

My money is on parmachenee!
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Wink

Oh yes, I would have one more but for a DNF on a cache yesterday!

Stats have been updated, despite a glitch with the PQ files!

Maine Geocaching Stats
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Stats Updated

Stats have been updated. 90 caches away from 5000 published caches!
    Maine Geocaching Stats
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Hi Folks,

I'm active in the New York geocaching community, and just for kicks I've started working on a bookmark list of the caches with the most finds in each state. (I'm restricting myself to caches with a physical container - no virtuals, locationless, etc., although I may include a couple of extremely prolific examples for comparison purposes - I already have What in the World Cache?, just because the totals are so ridiculous.) I've been doing much of the research by hand, but I thought that if anyone would know where my research efforts have failed it would be active local cachers in different communities.

So I'm here because I'm not entirely sure that I've got the right cache for Maine... the best I've been able to come up with is The Fort Williams Cache with 772 finds. I was wandering these forums and saw this thread and figured, if there's anyone worth asking, it's probably the folks here! I know that the combination of groundspeak and GSAK doesn't make it easy to store information about total finds, but even anecdotally, does anyone know if I can do better?

Thanks very much,
    addisonbr
    New York Metro Geocaching Society

Part of the reason the What in the World cache has such large numbers is in it's early years, the owner allowed "armchair" logging, meaning you didn't have to actually visit the site to log the cache. You only had to explain to him what was at the location. Another reason is it is a very popular site, easy to get to, and a site which is attractive to many cachers.

That being said, I think the Fort Williams cache gets a lot of hits for a physical cache. I looked at a few other caches I thought were popular, but they don't have as many finds as Fort Williams. Perhaps one of our more southern cachers can think of a cache that gets hit more often?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

The Fort Williams cache would I think need to be somewhere near the top as it relates to its hits because of its age. The average is about 100 hits per year (app 8 years old).

There are other caches in the state that are averaging more, but the question is can they produce the total number of hits to get to the top with much less time.

Statistics is usually an interesting subject except when I have to get my work stats done.

Thanks for running the numbers!

my Freeport Skating Pond (GC185XF) has over 200 in less than 2 years - probably my busiest cache...not sure that it will maintain that pace...one of the caches I adopted (We Don't Need No Education-GC2A46) is one of the oldest and has over 300..

Thanks for the feedback! I'll go ahead and include Fort Williams with confidence for now.

One thing I've noticed is that certain historic caches sometimes cross a threshold of consistent traffic... Newer caches sometimes slow down as the "area" cachers all eventually log it, but some of the "oldest in the state" type caches get a more consistent stream of geo-tourists who like to collect stuff like that.

You guys should be very happy/proud that a notable cache tops your list. I'm a little sad when I turn up states for whom the most visited cache is placed at an interstate rest stop.

Is There A Way To Give Stats On How Many Caches Done In One Day By All Maine Geocachers?