vb:literal>

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Maine Cache and Cache Hider Stats

This is always a touchy subject and probably should be in it's own thread, but I'll weigh in a bit and TRY to be fair minded about it.

Fact: There are more micros now than there ever were, and there is a much much higher percentage of micros than there ever were.

Fact: Micros are not necessarily low quality, nor are low quality caches necessarily micros. This has been true since caching started.

Fact: Everyone has their own opinion of what constitutes lesser quality in a cache, whether it is location, size, container, hide method, or whatever.

Now comes the opinion mixed with some fact:

I don't think the ratio of what I consider a lesser quality cache has been consistent with the number of caches placed. I think the event which caused the largest jump in the percentage of these caches was the removal of virtual caches from gc.com. Why they removed a cache type that the placer was required to explain why the spot was worthy and replace it with a type that could be haphazardly placed is beyond me. The other largest thing that I think promotes lesser quality cache hides is the promotion of 'the numbers'. This has existed since caching started and has had upswings and downswings through time.

That being said, I am not sure if the percentage of what I consider to be lesser quality caches is much greater than it ever was. If, when I started, 10 of the 150 (6%) caches available were 'lame', that same percentage would be 331 of the available caches now. I do know my expectations have lowered - that my definition of a lesser quality cache has lowered.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    The other largest thing that I think promotes lesser quality cache hides is the promotion of 'the numbers'. This has existed since caching started and has had upswings and downswings through time.
    Exactly!

We like to congratulate fellow cachers for reaching milestones: 100 caches found, 500, 1,000, etc. There was a time when reaching one of these milestones meant a lot of miles driven and a lot of paths walked. But now, when you can do 100 caches in a day on 1 tank of gas, the significance of the "milestone" is much less, IMHO. If it's easy to do, why do we even consider it an accomplishment?

The Delorme Challenge is a good example of one of the remaining REAL accomplishments. It takes time, effort and planning.

hey, thanks for letting me know what a REAL accomplishment is...I think that is where people get frustrated - others deciding what is REAL, or LAME, or QUALITY caching is. If you don't like the style of caching, don't do it...

People rate everything, TV shows, motor vehicles, amusement rides, books - there are very few if any things that humans do not rate. People have to remember that discussions of this sort are purely opinion. I think most cachers would agree that a well maintained cache in a durable container adds to the quality of a cache, but there will always be those few that would not care if a cache was nothing more than a wet log in a ripped ziplock bag.

And while it is fact that all caches and types of caches get easier with time including challenges, the level of accomplishment is dependent on the individual cacher and their methods and abilities.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    ... ...
    The Delorme Challenge is a good example of one of the remaining REAL accomplishments. It takes time, effort and planning.
    LOL, Is this a parody of "The Hitchers Guide to the Galaxy." by Douglas Adams?

"The meaning of Life is .....!", and a true geocaching accomplishment is "... ... REAL accomplishments. ... ... It takes ....."

He hehaaaa

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Where have all the micros gone, Brdad?

All the micros are gone? There is a God!

Looks like I must have mistakenly had them filtered out last time I ran the stats. I usually double check things when I run them but I know I didn't last week. GSAK is waiting on one PQ due today and then I will run them again. Check again later today.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

TeamHorwich...... you have accomplished nothing, apparently!

Default Quite the contrary...

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    TeamHorwich...... you have accomplished nothing, apparently!
    Even if TeamHorwich had never hidden a micro, anyone would still have to respect their accomplishments. I hear praise for their caches mentioned at events and in chat. Sure, micros may be the larger percentage of their hides, but if that's the only criteria you re using for one's accomplishments, that's a bit shallow IMHO.

Anyway, stats are updated, including micros this week.

Maine Geocaching Stats
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

No one said that micros are the ONLY criteria for one's accomplishments. Please do not put words on my keyboard that I did not type.

However, micros are the majority of what TH, myself, and others such as Lex and Ekidokai have hidden. Many of them are GREAT hides. Because a cache is a micro does not mean that it is a simple guardrail park n grab.