vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whoa!

Exclamation Whoa!

Most users ever online was 166, 01-27-2005 at 05:08 PM.
    Come again? Did I miss something? Did you guys have a party and not invite me?

This must be those Geobots, or Googlebot things?

Red face wah~wah~wah

Hey ~ I didn't get invited either!! boo hoo hoo

How DOES it happen that there are so many users/guests listed? It's an internet mystery to me.

Rick explained th "guests" to me.

If someone does a Google search on "geocaching", this site will show up as a "hit", and shows a "guest". Make sense?

Thumbs up Yep

Thanks much!

Smile So...

There was no "party" then, right?

Red face Not left out after all

I think we're safe Cameo ~ looks as though we didn't miss an invitation to a party. At least that anyone is fessing up to anyway ~ hehehe

Maybe I did not explain it in depth to Bruce. But I will try to now.

Some of the guest that are one line are actual guests, meaning that they are users that are visiting the site that are not registered and logged in. I have the site set so that you don’t have to be registered to see the forums.

Other guests are called spiders. This meaning that search engines like Google and others like it send feelers out to internet web sites looking at their content and to see how much activity they receive. Another thing they do to look at the links from other web sites that are link to yours. When doing this it helps your site to get better listing in the search results. Which means your site will be higher on the listing. Sometimes search engine can nave several spiders searching your site at the same time.

I hope this helps to explain it more and it did not confuse everyone even more. Sorry if I confused you all more.
    Blazing Troll

Di you REALLY have to confuse us? My yeoman's explanation was good enough...

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Di you REALLY have to confuse us? My yeoman's explanation was good enough...
    Maybe I should delete what I posted. Maybe I should never have tried to explain it. Sorry.
    Blazing Troll

Attroll, I liked your explanation. I kinda knew what spiders did, but know better now....