vb:literal>

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Geocachingmaine and School

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    I like everyones thoughts on this and can honestly say I dont want anything to change. I just think its a shame that there is no consistancy. I also cant access village soup anymore, cant even order supplies from staples anymore.
    Village Soup . . . Staples . . . pretty bad when you can't access a newspaper site -- although they do have a BBS which may be one reason.

Now as for Staples . . . is it those racy-looking new staplers with their sleek, erotic design or the paperclips which could be fashioned into drug appartus that has resulted in the ban?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I am just a substitute in our school system but I do work with the special ed kids. When our kids are given computer time, it is monitored. The have some sights to tell you about from their homes though that I won't let my girls go to. This sight is great, makes you feel like part of a community. Now I don't know if I'd want my girls reading the Beer Chat but that's part of the friendliness and fun here. And postingings about sexual predators, I appreciate those. I found, through the special ed kids, that even filtered sights have a loophole. Our school uses some safe google thing. The images from some of these sights can still be viewed.
    Slowly but surely

d’76 Guest

I need to back on comment I made as some things have changed in the last couple of days. You can infact check the staples website. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    I know that things got a little heated in the forums, but I think that blew over a year ago...or longer. People have been playing pretty well with others IMO.
    I still run with scissors...

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    One question . . . PETA or PITA? PETA = People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (of course there is also the other PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals) and PITA = Pain in the ___.
    Both are fitting (I forgot about the first one) but the latter is what I was thinking. (Just look what they did to McDonalds, first it was about the cooking fat, then it was about the meat, then it was about the chickens being rudely treated that we're turning into chicken nuggets anyways... I think the only reason why they're constantly going after McDonalds is because they know that they will bend to avoid looking bad and keep everyone happy... where does it end...?)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    . . . where does it end...?)
    Answer: McTofu nuggets and a Big Soy Mac?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Answer: McTofu nuggets and a Big Soy Mac?

and how many people do you know that would actually enjoy eating that stuff????

if we constantly change the site to appeal to the sensitive needs of everyone well have a soy & tofu website... (ok, maybe it's not the best of analogies, but ya get my drift?)

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    and how many people do you know that would actually enjoy eating that stuff????

if we constantly change the site to appeal to the sensitive needs of everyone well have a soy & tofu website... (ok, maybe it's not the best of analogies, but ya get my drift?)
    Every site needs a little wasabi with the tofu to make it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    Every site needs a little wasabi with the tofu to make it interesting.
    is that in reference to bruce running with scissors?

The internet filter where Dave works, which is required by Maine Law to receive state funding and put in place by the Maine Schools and Library Network, is set to filter out sites with forums as well as many other topics. Recently the Director of the school he works for realized that the school was not in line with the policies and filtering level of the rest of the district so the request was made to fix the issue.

Reasonable requests which are curriculum related and have educational content are usually granted by the folks who run the filter with some exceptions, such as internet e-mail such as yahoo and hotmail as well as sites with forums and chat areas even if there is some educational content. Some times the reviewers ask for how the site will be used in the classroom to evaluate the site’s educational value or they will ask the teacher making the request to list specific data or pages so that if the site is not unfiltered the teacher could be sent the required information in a different format if it cannot be found on another site. The filter automatically adjusts as it finds new sites through internet databases and traffic monitoring to and from schools so sites which are not filtered today may be filtered in the future.

This site was probably blocked because of the forums and chat as well as the beer and predator threads. If Dave wants to use some of the photos that are on this site for course work I am sure that if he downloaded the photos, (hopefully with permission) he could then load them on to a flash drive and take them to work to use in the class room.

I work in the same district and am under the same rules, if a site which I like to go to is blocked and it is not job related then I go to that site on my own time at home and use my own bandwidth. There have been quite a few comments from where Dave works which basically state that the teachers are getting more work done because they are not aimlessly surfing, and with the teacher’s attention focused on work it provides a better learning environment for the students.

There are places of employment out in the real world that are locked down tighter than the school district will ever be. There are also employers out there that will no longer need your (your being a general term) services if you are caught surfing the web to non work related sites. Personally I would rather keep my job and surf at home than get fired for wasting an employer’s time, money and bandwidth.