Dave, In light of the "thread jacking" I do understand your concerns over earlier comments that were made regarding the original topic. Teaching is a thankless enough profession; then to be berated because of a simple question. The internet can be a powerful learning tool and while I agree that some content should be limited I think that teachers have a greater responsibility to teach than to "safeguard". It's when these tools are censured for unexplained reasons by those that think they know better, then teaching become more in line with "programming" than "educating." I think teachers see this while all the other "do gooders" believe they are protecting our children from the "evils" of the world when, in my opinion, they are actually perpetuating the problems by not giving the children the "tools" they need to deal with the "evil" things.
It is accepted that the issues of over-population and starvation in many African and other third world countries is a symptom of no education. Why then not use this valuable information and "teach" our children that the world isn't dotted with MacDonalds and PlayStations.

"Give a person a fish and they eat for a day, teach a person to fish and they eat for the rest of their lives."

My 2 cents