vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Etna Bog disabled...

I would have hoped that as active as a group that we have here they would have put out an SOS so to speak and asked that others could look after their caches in the interim as they build their new home. I have tried to get in contact with them but so far have not had any luck. Maybe they will read this and do just that. Usually the case of disabling the cache does not necessarily mean abandoning the cache as some caches that are disabled for wintertime will indeed have TB's and or coins in them. I would do just what you have done and moved the TB's along.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by ribnag View Post
    So, etiquette survey time - If someone has disabled their caches for reasons you know have nothing to do with safety or physical availability, do they still count as semi-fair game to anyone willing to look? And does it change the answer if they have TBs stranded in them (which seems a bit unfair to the owner of those TBs, IMO)?
    IMHO, if you find it, it's still a find. And if you looked for the cache not knowing it was disabled for reasons such as this cache was, I wouldn't have anything negative to say about it. However, if you disrespectfully looked for a cache such as this, I would take issue. There's a good chance it was not disabled because cachers were damaging the road, but so that they would not be blamed for doing so (as well as slowing unneccessary traffic).

Now, in the case of Etna Bog, if you were to find an alternate way in not using the road in, that would be ok with me. An example would be if you found a way to kayak down the stream to it. It's great in this case the cache owner stated why it was disabled.

I say the TBs make no difference to the "right thing to do". Risking the chance to give Geocachers a bad name is not an excuse to rescue a trapped TB, IMO.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I say the TBs make no difference to the "right thing to do". Risking the chance to give Geocachers a bad name is not an excuse to rescue a trapped TB, IMO.
    I think it's the cache owner's responsibility to rescue TB's.

Does anyone know the owner of this cache? From their profile, they've been members of gc.com for 5 years, but have only found 1 cache yet placed 2.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I think it's the cache owner's responsibility to rescue TB's.

Does anyone know the owner of this cache? From their profile, they've been members of gc.com for 5 years, but have only found 1 cache yet placed 2.

Hmmm, I'm not sure why the cache owner should have to assume responsibility. If that was the case, if a TB goes missing, shouldn't the cache owner replace it? If you leave your car in a Wal-Mart parking lot, you can't expect them to accept responsibility.

As far as the owners, I don't think they are too active, but they are friends with nuffer, who lives nearby - remember him? I think he was at one of the WWWWWWWWWWs.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

We are talking about 2 different instances here. # 1 the OP started this thread about the Etna Bog cache being disabled. The cache owner disabled it not because of cachers beating up the road but because of anybody wanting to use the road so he disabled it to save the road so geocachers don't get blamed for it as Brdad stated I believe. There are no TB's or coins in the Etna Bog cache.
    # 2 Ribnag did some of Smitty's caches over the past weekend and he found a couple of TB's and a coin in them. He was simply stating that he was concerned about them being stranded because of the cache being disabled. Being disabled and being archived are 2 different things here. Many caches are disabled during the winter months and unfortunately a lot of them will have TB's and coins in them. A good responsible cacher will in my opinion remove them before disabling the cache so they can continue their travels. Some cachers will not but the cache is still available but the owner just can't be available to do the proper maintenance on them thus the disabled icon. In some time in the future they might have plans to reenable it. That's my take on it anyway.
    Last edited by Haffy; 05-09-2007 at 04:36 PM.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Hmmm, I'm not sure why the cache owner should have to assume responsibility. If that was the case, if a TB goes missing, shouldn't the cache owner replace it? If you leave your car in a Wal-Mart parking lot, you can't expect them to accept responsibility.
    No, no... I only mean it should be the cache owner's responsibility to "rescue" the TB if he abandons or disables the cache. If it's an otherwise active cache, it's up to the TB to get himself to another cache. LOL!

If the TB goes missing - someone steals it (as I've had happen TOO MANY times) - it's NOT the cache owner's responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Many caches are disabled during the winter months and unfortunately a lot of them will have TB's and coins in them. I good responsible cacher will in my opinion remove them before disabling the cache so they can continue their travels.
    I agree - and this is the point I was making to Dave.

But even if a cache is NOT disabled in winter, a lot of TB's will be stranded as the cache is simply not accessible. Too bad for the TB.

I saw a LOT of this in the caches in this area this winter. I thought about rescuing the TB's and bringing them to the WWWWWW3 event, but decided to leave them alone. Winter isolation is something we all have to deal with in Maine! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    I thought it was interesting that Etna Bog was disabled by the owner. The reason given was that the roads were taking a beating. Will be interesting to see if this one comes back online.

Etna Bog
    The cache owner's brother-in-law lives in there now thus the road saw a lot of traffic during the winter and early spring. A big mud-hole has formed so he blocked the road off until they get it fixed. It should be back online after that is done.