vb:literal>

Thread: Reading NEW POST message and the cookie thing

Default Reading NEW POST message and the cookie thing

When you log into the site you can click on NEW POST and you can read all the new messages that were posted since you last logged off from the site. But the way it works is off the cookies. I will not get into cookies to much because it will confuse some users.

Things to keep in mind and downfalls for NEW POST.

The cookie timeout is set to 15 minutes. What that means is if you log onto the site and walk away from you computer and then come back after 15 minutes then it will have marked all the NEW POST that you have not read as read. So if I were you, I would stay active on the site until you are done. Most users do this so it is not a problem. But once and a while some of use get distracted when they let the dog out or some unforeseen things comes up.

Another thing about the 15 minute cookie timeout. If you just close your browser without logging out and come back within 15 minutes it will show all the NEW POST you just read as NEW POST again. It is because your cookies have not reached there 15 minute timeout. If you use the logout function on the screen it will elevate this problem. But then you will have to log into the site every time you come back to it. Personally I never use the logout function. But that is my choice. So is short what I am trying to say here. If you close you browser and leave the site don’t come back for at least 15 minutes. The other thing that can be done is to MARK ALL MESSAGES READ before you close your browser.

One more thing I would recommend is to bring up NEW POST one last time before you log off. It will bring up the list and if there are none listed in bold print, then that means that you have read all the new post.

Man oh man I hope I did not confuse the hell out of everyone by trying to explain this.
    Last edited by attroll; 06-25-2004 at 12:27 AM. Reason: spelling
    Blazing Troll

All this cookie stuff is making me hungry!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh and friends
    All this cookie stuff is making me hungry!
    Let me guess, "I'm so rumbly in my tumbly, Time for something sweet...."