vb:literal>

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tidal Cache - Group Cache Opportunity

Cool Tidal Cache - Group Cache Opportunity

Are you familiar with TAT's Tidal Cache in Scarborough?
    Here is the link on GC.com......

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e8462a7d-38ff-494a-880a-9c0f9fd9cbe0

The goal is to get to the coordinates listed or get as close as possible. The challenge is that it is best done at the lowest of low tides which only occur a couple of times a year. Next opportunity.........January 11, 2005 at 5:42pm when the tide is -1.8 feet.

Pinepoint mentioned the date on a log that he made for the cache in August and indicated that he would try again in January (and bring hot chocolate if others wanted to join him.....mmmmmm). YOP picked up on that idea and has been diligently plotting a trip to the cache. Since the time of low tide will be after dark on the 11th, he will be going to the location on the 9th to check out the best approach and will also be researching the parking options (not the best in the summer at least - perhaps now is better).

At this point, a few of us have joined in on the trip plan (YOP, GeoMaine, GeoTyger, flwrldy and her buds, we hope Pinepoint, and me). We welcome others and thought this might be a great way to let everyone know what is in the works. We can also consider submitting a request for a group cache event and trade TB's, go somewhere for a hot chocolate after, or whatever - very informal.

Care to join us?
    Thoughts about making it an event?

Default Well, yes I have heard of it...

I'm going to try to make it. This doesn't surface very often, so it should be fun.

I have also submitted this cache to http://www.earthcache.org/. Check out the link. If approved, it will be the first of its kind in Maine!

TB exchange is a good reason to make it an event. If you want me to do it, let me know. If someone else wants to do it, that's fine too. Of course, you can also log tbs on a virtual, just don't leave them there, they'll freeze and drown!

The parking listed in the description is the safest, even in the winter. Having said that, I parked at the place implied in Maine Seaside Stash. and had no problem. I'm not sure how the law decides what is and what isn't legal street parking. There are plenty of no parking signs, but there are also some obvious spots (not marked)..

The Brunswick mught be a good place to warm up afterward.

Last edited by tat; 01-01-2005 at 11:42 PM.

Smile Weekend tide??

Do you think that tide would hold up until the weekend so those of us who aren't in the area could make it?? Ah, yes...'time and the tide....'
    Last edited by parmachenee; 01-02-2005 at 12:07 AM.

Red face Perhaps

The weekend following (1/15-16) won't have much of an advantage over a regular low tide, but the weekend prior to (1/8-9) might work, particularly on that Sunday. Here is the link to the tide chart if you want to check it out....

http://www.maineharbors.com/janpt05.htm

Hmmm...

We might try and make it - luckily it's a Tuesday and that's one day we usually have freee.

Default Weather is a big factor...

As of 9am today, the weather forcast calls for rain and scattered showers on Sunday, 9Jan, but,

Partly cloudy on Tuesday, 11Jan.

So, it looks like a good prospect for getting all the way!

Thumbs up Sunday

Thanks Beachcomber....Sunday, the 9th looks like a distinct possibility. I believe we will be in the area anyway and the time of day looks pretty good too. As far as the weather goes...the local weatherguy can't predict today's weather let alone a week away!!

Smile Hmmm....

Just a thought, but if this group cache goes event...anybody in the Bangor area thinking they might go?

I am trying to figure out what everyone is saying here. Is eaveryone going to try and be at this location and do this as a group cache on the 9th?
    Blazing Troll

Red face Answer, perhaps

The original plan has been to do it on the 11th because that is when the tide will be the lowest. That is a Tuesday late afternoon/evening and could be a difficult time for some. Given that, it looks like there might be interest for some to do it on the 9th as the tide might still be reasonable and would eliminate the "after work" issue. Maybe there will end up being a group going on each day depending on individual schedules. The group that I listed in my earlier e-mail was for the 11th. Hope that helps
    Last edited by Beach Comber; 01-03-2005 at 04:00 PM.