vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimum cache separation

Default Minimum cache separation

I had thought that the closest 2 caches could be is 1/10 mile apart (528 feet), but I just saw two in Rangely that are only 193 feet apart, and they are both active. How does that happen?
    GC4E50 Overlook
    GCWZAB Rangeley Overlook

Because one is a virtual and for a while you could place a physical cache within .1 mile of a virtual.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I adopted one of those and had that same concern....thanks for clearing that up Brdad.

Incedently, when you create a multicache, if you make the stages "Stages of a multi", those stages will be treated like caches and no one will be able to place a cache within .1 mile of it. If you make them "Questions to answer", they will be treated like the virts we are discussing and a cache can be placed within the limits.

Obviously if the stages are physical, you should choose the "Stages of a multi" option, but if they are virtual type stages you may choose to do either.
    Last edited by brdad; 05-30-2007 at 07:51 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Cool, and now I know

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    Cool, and now I know
    "And knowing is half the battle. . . . (cue music) G.E.O. Joe." (with apologies to Hasbro and the G.I. Joe franchise.)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

There are 2 caches in Kansas that were placed on the same day and seem to have slipped through the cracks.

Default Physical caches can be closer too.

On occasion, physical caches can be closer than the .1 guideline. We had one on Portland's Western Prom where there two caches much closer than .1 miles apart. But there was a huge hill in between and the cache owners convinced GPSFun that they could not be mistaken (he verified with a couple of us in the Portland area before approving). In such cases where there is a physical separation where the cacher will not likely confuse the two caches, they can be approved. Like just about everything geocaching, .1 is a guideline not a hard rule.

This is all good information. Thanks for sharing and the discussion.

I was wondering about this as I live in a river corridor and short of a boat and a good landing spot (which are several miles apart) it would be difficult to get back and forth and was wondering if caches could be placed on either side of a river.