vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Delorme caches and the like - When are they "completed"?

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    If the accomplishment were just to get the maps done, why bother to log the final?

When you're there, adding your log to the book, you'll understand. It's not about the finish line, it's about the journey.

We are very lucky to have such a well thought out logging ceremony in Maine. In some states, it's just another cache, just another name and date on another line. But, there is a real cost to this personal touch: the finders must arrange a time to hold the ceremony. Schedules don't always line up and that's why Sudonim signed before Gob-ler. Gob-ler is still the first to complete the challenge.

The really interesting thing is it does not matter what we think about it. Teebow set the rules up when he listed the cache and the participants followed it. As he said, the the final was not a physical cache, but a log book and those that completed the challenge signed that log book as they worked it out with him.

Some of the DeLorme's have had differing rules, but all were clear as to what was expected.

I guess that the latest one is done pending review of the list of pages/caches completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler View Post
    The really interesting thing is it does not matter what we think about it. Teebow set the rules up when he listed the cache and the participants followed it.
    My point exactly, though much more clear and concise. His cache, he gets the say And it sounds like he has talked with each cacher along the way who has completed it - the ideal "win-win" situation.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

I viewed completing the DeLormes as getting the maps. When you have to meet the cache owner to log, you are relying on your schedule as well as theirs to complete the event. If after finishing the last page, I posted my results, and a computer spit out coords for the final, I could race there for FTF, or go later, at my convenience. Gob-ler posted that he'd finished the pages, but then had to coordinate a meeting with Team Teebow to make it "official".
    The difference I see with "Battleship" is that as soon as you get the coords, you can race off to finish, or get it later, your choice. I didn't have to wait on another party to complete MY log, it's all on me. With DeLormes, if I finish, then Tom can't meet with me for two weeks, that shouldn't affect my "standings" in the completion.
    I will agree with Dave, that for most caches (all that don't involve someone else's participation to finish), you claim it when you sign the log, not before. This one was a little unusual. I viewed it as clearly Gob-ler finishing the requirements before me, and having to delay his celebration due to schedule conflicts.
    Either way, it was a great journey, and I'd race him again in a second

Sorry - Double post.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I see the latest points - may not agree 100%, but I see those points.

If the final to battleship had washed downstream before the first finder had found it, and I had to disable it for a week, and by that time that person had to go out of town and someone else got the final first - it's almost like the first owner was waiting on the cache owner. I know I am grasping at straws... I just think coordinating with the owner is part of the challenge, just as the rules are listed.

The timing really matters a lot less if you are not going for FTF or don't care about FTF, or just completing it ahead of someone else. Let's say Frank and Charron, myself, and Lee were in a personal race to complete the Delorme Challenge (Which none of us are). I'd would still not consider the challenge complete until I had signed the log.

The timing to sign the final for me will be a little tougher as I want to make it my 1000th Maine find. Maybe that's why I am putting more weight on the signing of the log than many of you.
    Last edited by brdad; 06-12-2007 at 05:56 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    When you're there, adding your log to the book, you'll understand. It's not about the finish line, it's about the journey.

Yes, the cache is all about the journey - completion is all about the finish line.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    If the accomplishment were just to get the maps done, why bother to log the final?
    The final log is icing on the cake and needs to be signed. Is the final log accessable all the time or do you need to make arrangements to sign it? Can you e-mail the owner whenyou've completed it. I'm close enough. I will be able, if the time ever comes, the sign the last stage within a day of completion.
    Slowly but surely

Don't sweat the small stuff and the really important things in life will be much easier to deal with . . . free advice for the day.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I'm not sweating nothing on this one; just curious. Not unlike how I wonder why some people like multis and some don't, and some like micros and some don't. But that's another thread.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!