vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Delorme caches and the like - When are they "completed"?

Default Delorme caches and the like - When are they "completed"?

I know I can bit a bit of a purist - ok, maybe more than a bit... But I don't really consider myself completing a cache until I have signed the logbook. No, it's not really a big deal. It's pretty much guaranteed after you find all the maps you will be signing the actual log. It's just how you want to interpret the word "completed".

I've seen it done on other Delorme Challenges and it probably has happened on other longer and tougher series or multicaches. Lee and I will soon be completing our requirements to log the Maine Delorme Challenge. I am not going to consider it completed until I get verification I have met the requirements and am given further instructions to get to and sign that logbook, and then do just that.

If someone finds all the stages but to a multi, my Battleship cache for example - I don't think many people would consider they have completed the cache until they make it to the final. Is the Delorme Challenge any different?

For those that have completed the challenge, what date do you consider you completed it, the day you logged your last map, or the day you signed the logbook?

I suppose some ultra purists would say not until it is logged online, but for me - it's when I sign the cache logbook. And my log online will be dated that same day, regardless of what day I actually log online.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

It's not done until you sign the log!

But, like they say at a popular resturaunt up north, "Eat Desert First". What I mean is: celebrate everthing, especially something like the Delorme Challenge, as soon as posible and as long as posible!!!

Celebrate at the last cache,
    Celebrate with your friends online,
    Celebrate while you're making your bookmark list,
    Celebrate with Team Teebow when you sign the log and don't forget to
    Celebrate when you post the log on line!

And, why stop there!
    Celebrate when they come up to you with the bingo card at the event asking if you "completed" the Delorme Challenge.

Life is too short to miss any fun.

Seems that the cache owner would be the one to determing when the challenge has been completed. It may even vary from one to another.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

I think you complete it technically when you sign the log book, but it is "Completed when you do the last page. Here in Maine I finished it first even though Andy signed the log book first due to my being out of the area. The first to finish in that case was the one who completed the challenge first. Signing the "Logbook" was just the icing on the cake making it Official.

At least I think that is the way it goes. Even though Andy signed in first everyone still congratulated me as being the first done.

d’76 Guest

I was just looking at my certificate of completion and the cert says that I finished the challenge on January 6th. I choose that date becuase that was the day that I finished all the critieria and since I had already done the map that I would have singed the log in I counted the last cache that I did as finshed and the logged that the cache was complete on january 21, so mine is kinda wierd since I logged it as complete on the 21 but on my cert it says the 6th. Tomato, Tomatoe. I dont think it matters, Tom asked me which date I wanted on mine. It will be up to you I think. Good Job guys not an easy task.

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler View Post
    I think you complete it technically when you sign the log book, but it is "Completed when you do the last page. Here in Maine I finished it first even though Andy signed the log book first due to my being out of the area. The first to finish in that case was the one who completed the challenge first. Signing the "Logbook" was just the icing on the cake making it Official.

At least I think that is the way it goes. Even though Andy signed in first everyone still congratulated me as being the first done.
    I guess I don't see it that way, either, but if it works for you and Andy that's all that matters as far as FTF is concerned. I'm sure there is a great sense of accomplishment to just get all the maps, as well there should be. I'll know for sure when I get there.

Perhaps the Delorme Challenges are different. Maybe because the acquisition of the maps is a much greater feat than signing the final log? 3 people had the final coords for Battleship before it was found, but they were DNFs so maybe that makes the difference.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    I was just looking at my certificate of completion and the cert says that I finished the challenge on January 6th. I choose that date becuase that was the day that I finished all the critieria and since I had already done the map that I would have singed the log in I counted the last cache that I did as finshed and the logged that the cache was complete on january 21, so mine is kinda wierd since I logged it as complete on the 21 but on my cert it says the 6th. Tomato, Tomatoe. I dont think it matters, Tom asked me which date I wanted on mine. It will be up to you I think. Good Job guys not an easy task.
    Ya, I noticed that and it confused me too!
    Mine will be the day I sign the log.
    Lee will probably do the same, but she can do what she wants.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Not that i am anywhere near finishing, or will be for a long time but...
    When I do a multi, I finish it that day. If I signed the log, its the last stage. In this case you can't always sign the final log when the rest has been completed because maybe the Teebows aren't available when you are. Let everyone know when you have done all the maps and that's great. Besides, after the FTF, isn't just an accomplishment to have it done?
    Slowly but surely

Quote Originally Posted by FuddsGirls View Post
    Besides, after the FTF, isn't just an accomplishment to have it done?
    If the accomplishment were just to get the maps done, why bother to log the final?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    If the accomplishment were just to get the maps done, why bother to log the final?
    so the final log should be a challenge too?? like have teebow at the top of a hill with the log, and in order to sign the log you have to wrestle it away from him???
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.