vb:literal>

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Rendez-vous Quebec 8/2/2008

Woo hoo! We are here! More updates soon

We're back! Just got a glimpse of a few of the other Mainers at the event - must have been the call of the cache that took them away. Anyway, RULOST2? were the only Mainers on "Team Maine" for the International Cache Hunt. They teamed us up with a couple of nice girls from Massachusetts to allow us to field a full 4-person team. We're not sure yet how we did - we were the first team out (helped to know one of the event organizers - my namesake, OusKonNé), with other teams released every 12 minutes. Rulost2? and I found 3 of 5 of our caches, and our partners found 2 of 5 of theirs. We got extra points for getting back on time (with 1 hour), extra points for finding an extra "cache" on the trail, and extra points for finding the "bonus cache" and figuring out the combination to the lock to get it open. The results of the competition are supposed to be on the Rendezvous Quebec 2008 website.

It was a very well organized event and we had a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    We're back! Just got a glimpse of a few of the other Mainers at the event - must have been the call of the cache that took them away. Anyway, RULOST2? were the only Mainers on "Team Maine" for the International Cache Hunt. They teamed us up with a couple of nice girls from Massachusetts to allow us to field a full 4-person team. We're not sure yet how we did - we were the first team out (helped to know one of the event organizers - my namesake, OusKonNé), with other teams released every 12 minutes. Rulost2? and I found 3 of 5 of our caches, and our partners found 2 of 5 of theirs. We got extra points for getting back on time (with 1 hour), extra points for finding an extra "cache" on the trail, and extra points for finding the "bonus cache" and figuring out the combination to the lock to get it open. The results of the competition are supposed to be on the Rendezvous Quebec 2008 website.

It was a very well organized event and we had a great time.
    Thank you Bruce and Theresa for being there to do this run! And to those teamed up with you!

There was not a lot of information about this event available to those of us who arrived early. Nor were any details on their web site.

As most of us were there on Friday night and from early on Saturday morning, they knew Maine folks were there.

Yes, some of us decided to be off for more cache (we had done some Friday night). Caching and networking and we had been there Saturday early to network - as well as Friday night.

I was one of the fortunate ones to see you arrive and be able to say HI. I do not think anyone who missed you did it intentionally. Most of the Maine people were on the venue by 9:00AM.

This was a great event but much different from other events we have attended. Again, thank you to those of you who participated as "Team Maine"!

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Thank you Bruce and Theresa for being there to do this run! And to those teamed up with you!

This was a great event but much different from other events we have attended. Again, thank you to those of you who participated as "Team Maine"!
    I should have mentioned their names:

Boot Group and Speedy 38.

Neither of them are members of GCM.org - that I can see - but I gave them copies of our sig item, the Maine Geocacher Permit, which has the GCM.org website noted, and asked them to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Yes, some of us decided to be off for more cache (we had done some Friday night). Caching and networking and we had been there Saturday early to network - as well as Friday night.
    We had camped about 30 miles away and did some caching on the way to the event. We logged about 10 "nano in a sign post" caches, had croissants and coffee at Tim Horton's, and then headed for the event.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    We had camped about 30 miles away and did some caching on the way to the event. We logged about 10 "nano in a sign post" caches, had croissants and coffee at Tim Horton's, and then headed for the event.
    Not to worry - it's the journey. Funny, the caches we found in Quebec - not one nano, sign post or guard rail.....but a lot of very interperative translating. Load of bottles in trees.

Glad you enjoyed the contest - sounded like fun and hey - first out of the post - Good Going! Also happy we did not miss you totally - that would have been a major bummer.

Cache on - cache happy!

Well, I'm very embarrassed to say that "Team Maine" came in LAST in the International Competition at the Rendezvous Quebec 2008 event.! LOL!

But in our defense...

1. There is an error in our score, which should have upped our score by 2 points (but still would have put us last).

2. As the chart shows, the first teams out - 1 to 5 - had the hardest time finding caches and all were at the bottom.. No "geotrails", no other cachers to follow. Each team was released 12 minutes apart, so later teams had a much better chance to find caches or follow someone else.

3. One member of the "B" Team of "Team Maine" was using a Magellan GPSr.

But it was a lot of fun! A lot like Mainiac1957's "cache dashe" caches at the Last Cache Bashe event.

It was nice to see Team Maine up there and the lobster necklaces were a hit. I'll be passing through at the end of the month so may see a couple of you then

df
    Make love not micros