vb:literal>

Thread: Maine Plane Crash Sites

Default Maine Plane Crash Sites

I am going on a week bike trip with a friend in Maine (all over) and I only know of a few plane crash sites (with geocaches or not) with coordinates... does anyone have a list, or can provide a few links for me, to other plane crash sites? Thanks
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

It took me some searching, but a few years before my father died we went out searching for wreckage of one crash. The story had been told a few times back when I was a kid - We knew it was not too far from the house because in 1948 when the plane crashed my mother and her family had walked to the site to see the crash. It turned out the the http://www.maineairmuseum.org/ was working on locating the site to place a memorial there. My father had been talking to some lumbermen in the woods who said they had come across some aluminum scraps. So, we took off into the woods and found enough evidence and waypointed all of the parts we found. It was a good time and good cause, and am glad now I took that time with my father to do it.

The site with the list of crashes seems to now be separate from the museum, at http://www.geocities.com/petef86a/. Unfortunately, I don't know if the site is updated much, but you might be able to email them.

The story of the plane crash we found is on that site at http://www.geocities.com/petef86a/hawes.html. We had the benefit of looking at all the paperwork that went with that crash, it is surprising the site was ever found with all the confusion about where the plane actually crashed - there was a discrepancies of 10-15 miles!

The last I knew they were working on a development in the general area, but if you want to check it out I will give the the waypoints of the pieces we found. It's not far from the main road, so access is easy enough.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Yes, I would like the waypoints (email me or pm me if you like) Thanks alot for that info. I too have came up with many website results... just no coordinates (basically it says "near patten, near bangor, 5 miles north of waterville...) so it makes it hard. I know there are coords for them out there somewhere, just wanted to ask if anyone had some... thanks a lot for your help though. I am planning on going to the maine Air museum in bangor, are they open everyday do you know and would they have coordinates to crash sites? Where exactly is it in Bangor, it just gives an address as a PO box... thanks again.

I'm not sure of the museum's hours, there is a email and phone number on the web site. They are very close to one stage of You Sank My Battleship! (GCB688) by brdad (4/2) (square B4). You're not a real cacher until you have done a 6-26 stage multi!

The waypoints for the plane crash are here in .loc format - should work for you, if not - let me know. http://www.bytethebullet.com/geocach...planecrash.loc
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

10-4. Unfortunetly it does not work for me (the link) just comes up with a bunch of #'s

You would need to right click the file and download it. Do you have EasyGPS? Or what mapping software do you use?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by J_Cyr View Post
    (basically it says "near patten, near bangor, 5 miles north of waterville...)
    there's one 5 miles north of waterville????
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

There is one on Elephant Mountain too...I have not been there yet. But from what I hear it is pretty cool! It is the remains of a crashed B-52 bomber....

Quote Originally Posted by teamdozer12 View Post
    There is one on Elephant Mountain too...I have not been there yet. But from what I hear it is pretty cool! It is the remains of a crashed B-52 bomber....

that one is well worth the visit. (a nice trip is to stay the weekend at lilly bay state park, grab the caches in the park and get lost up there! it's a great area to wander around)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I'm not sure of the museum's hours, there is a email and phone number on the web site.
    They are only open on the weekends, Memorial Day to Labor Day. I believe the hours on Saturday are 10-4 and Sunday 12-4. They are very lightly staffed, but the people there know their stuff...you just have to ask. It is located at 98 Maine Avenue which is adjacent to BIA. This link shows a view of the outside of the building. The coords I have are N 44 48.210 W068 48.360. I have not confirmed these.