vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I get started

Hybrid View

Smile How do I get started

I am very new, like I have never done this before, how do I get started ,and find where to go and all of that ? Can someone fill me in?

Thanks

We have two weekly chat sessions, the one on Monday is just for new cachers. The one tonight at 8:00 pm is open, but we would love to discuss tricks and techniques. Just clik on the Chat (memebers only) link above and follow the prompts. If you have trouble, post a note here, we'll try to help

Welcome to Geocaching!!

vesper - welcome - come on and chat and get to know folks. Do you have a GPSr? Have you been to geocaching.com the main web site?

I am not a newbie to caching, but a newbie to this site....and Monday chat room didn't seem like newbie night...I could barely keep up?! Maybe you all oldies could introduce yourself some more....I as a newbie to the site was completely lost on topic, and didn't have much to say. Not trying to gripe,(hopefully no one takes this wrong) but keep it in mind for future newbies who try and join the chat on newbie night!

Anyhow, welcome vesper04101.....to this site and caching!

d’76 Guest

I dont tend to use the chat nights as it is very hard to keep on topic. When I do go to chat I use it as a social tool more than information seeking. I think the question that you asked is way to broad to even address, Here is a link to get you started. http://www.geocaching.com/about/
    There is nothing better than first hand experiance. Find someone in the website that is going to be caching in your neck of the woods and see if they will give you first hand help. It is much easier to show you than to explain. If you break to question down it will help a little.

And welcome aboard. And yes we do get derailed from the topic once and aqhile so just remind us and we will get back on topic. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by teamdozer12 View Post
    I am not a newbie to caching, but a newbie to this site....and Monday chat room didn't seem like newbie night...I could barely keep up?! Maybe you all oldies could introduce yourself some more....I as a newbie to the site was completely lost on topic, and didn't have much to say. Not trying to gripe,(hopefully no one takes this wrong) but keep it in mind for future newbies who try and join the chat on newbie night!

Anyhow, welcome vesper04101.....to this site and caching!
    And welcome TeamDozer . . . cute puppy.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I totally get the social tool...however if you advertise on a website that a certain night is for newbies, then welcome newbies and keep it as that! AND welcome newbies and try to make them comfortable to the website! As I said I am not a newbie to caching but I had a hard time keeping up....imagine an actual newbie to caching and trying to keep up and how they would be turned off to a website that advertised newbie chat night...

Good point, TD12. I guess a lot of it is we haven't had a newbie in there for a while and we are out of practice.

If anyone wants to meet up any other time for a more stable discussion, the chat is always open. You may have to post in these forums asking for anyone interested to help to show up at a certain time, and then hope for the best. If I am home I am usually logged in but not always paying attention. Speak up and give me a few minutes and maybe I'll be around, or if you are lucky, someone else will be.

There is also national Geocaching chat, which may or may not be a better option depending on the time of day at http://gcchat.clayjar.com or for IRC users #Geocache on irc.slashnet.org.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Red face Just me saying the same thing....

I was in there Monday night too TD12. I guess it was easy for me to forget your a newbie to our site. I knew you had been caching for awhile so I guess I wasn't thinking of you as a newbie. My bad! As Brdad said we haven't had anyone in there lately to answer questions for so we tend to just ramble on like we do on Wednesday nights. Lets try again next week.
    Happy Trails!

Keep in mind that staying on topic is very hard to do. Even this thread is a bit off topic now, since it wasn't about chat, but about how to get started in Geocaching.

So, getting back to the basics:

1. Go to http://www.geocaching.com/
    2. Press the "log in" button and enter your user name and password when prompted.
    3. Enter you zip code in the upper right, just below the log in button, and press the arrow to proceed.
    4. The next page will show all of the caches near your zip code.
    5. Click on the blue, underlined description of any one of the caches.
    6. The next page will show all of the information about the cache.
    7. Near the top, you will find a set of numbers, like this "N 43° 05.952 W 070° 43.941"
    8. Enter these numbers into your gps.
    9. Read the rest of the page!
    10. Now, just use your gps go to the waypoint.

When you get to the cache area, you will be looking for something, usually a container of some type. The cache page will usually have a description of what to look for and perhaps some hints as to where to look. Keep in mind that no one is expected to be tresspassing or damaging property in any way. So, if you find yourself in a questionable situation, turn back and re-read the page. Don't hesitate to ask the cache owner for help.

After you find the cache container, you will (usually) see a log book inside. Sign your name and perhaps the date and some description of what you liked about it.

When you get home, go to the website again and log in. Then go to the cache page again and press "log your visit". Enter a description again, just like the written log, (or different, if you prefer).

Then, repeat the process untill you have seen the world!!

You'll likely have other questions, but at least this a place to start.