Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: How do I get started

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teamdozer12 View Post
    I am not a newbie to caching, but a newbie to this site....and Monday chat room didn't seem like newbie night...I could barely keep up?! Maybe you all oldies could introduce yourself some more....I as a newbie to the site was completely lost on topic, and didn't have much to say. Not trying to gripe,(hopefully no one takes this wrong) but keep it in mind for future newbies who try and join the chat on newbie night!

    Anyhow, welcome vesper04101.....to this site and caching!
    And welcome TeamDozer . . . cute puppy.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Personally, I hate it when cachers leave a bland TNLN SL TFTC message . . . I figure if I took the time to make the hide it would be nice to know what folks thought of the cache and the area . . .
    Sheesh! I usually save this log entry for "urban micros". People will continue to place them, I''ll continue to log them, but they shouldn't expect a paragraph extolling the virtues of the breakdown lane next to the guard rail, or the great availability of parking next to the lamp post! LOL!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lyman, Maine
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    there is a final third thing to remember that is very important and it's something many, many geocachers seem to have problems with . . . once you've made the trade (purely optional by the way) and recorded your name and date in the log you should put the cache back how you found it in the same place and with the same camouflage -- don't try to hide the cache in a different place to make it more challenging for the next cacher, or hide it in a different way, etc.
    Here, here on this line! That is my biggest gripe....replacing the cache as found! Nice write up by the way! This pretty much says it all.....except the fact of how addicting caching can be! LOL! AND of course the fact that geocachers are some of the nicest people!!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    Couldn't find the section to quote FFjake but a word about trades. Do read the cache page. Some caches have rules about trades and it is nice to try and follow them.

    I for one have a cache for the purpose of trading or discovering Geocoins. Travel bugs, which have been mentioned, are ok too. Coins are like Travel bugs. My rules for the cache are one for one trades. I don't mind if folks revisit either.

    The reason is not to hold things hostage but rather to ensure for those who come to see and trade that there is a stock of fun stuff. Anyone visiting is welcome to claim the find and discover to their hearts content.

    So - read the cache page and see if the owner of the placement has any "special' rules or desired. Jake actually has a cache to exchange books but I don't think he cares if it is a one for one. The day I found it - it was stuffed full.

    Ask questions - that keeps us all on our toes.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! I usually save this log entry for "urban micros". People will continue to place them, I''ll continue to log them, but they shouldn't expect a paragraph extolling the virtues of the breakdown lane next to the guard rail, or the great availability of parking next to the lamp post! LOL!
    I hear you Bruce . . . these are the ones that I sometimes find difficult to write a comment about . . . although to be truthful I have been brought to some nice views from the road that I may not have noticed if it wasn't for the LPC or GRC . . . for example I can think of one of CacheMaine's dalmatian caches south of Belfast on Rt. 1 that offered a nice view of the coast.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teamdozer12 View Post
    Here, here on this line! That is my biggest gripe....replacing the cache as found! Nice write up by the way! This pretty much says it all.....except the fact of how addicting caching can be! LOL! AND of course the fact that geocachers are some of the nicest people!!
    On some of my caches I'm constantly going back to replace it where I hid it since some folks cannot seem to remember where or how it was placed. In some cases it's no big deal, but in some cases placing it at the exact spot makes a big difference in how challenging it is to find (sometimes making it much easier and sometimes making it much more difficult.) However, if the truth were told, most folks are pretty good about putting the cache back as I hid it.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Couldn't find the section to quote FFjake but a word about trades. Do read the cache page. Some caches have rules about trades and it is nice to try and follow them.

    I for one have a cache for the purpose of trading or discovering Geocoins. Travel bugs, which have been mentioned, are ok too. Coins are like Travel bugs. My rules for the cache are one for one trades. I don't mind if folks revisit either.

    The reason is not to hold things hostage but rather to ensure for those who come to see and trade that there is a stock of fun stuff. Anyone visiting is welcome to claim the find and discover to their hearts content.

    So - read the cache page and see if the owner of the placement has any "special' rules or desired. Jake actually has a cache to exchange books but I don't think he cares if it is a one for one. The day I found it - it was stuffed full.

    Ask questions - that keeps us all on our toes.
    Excellent points Lois . . . as you mentioned I've run across some caches that only want TBs in them or signature items, some are trade specific items like my Book-nobile and some have specific requirements such as a dog-theme trade . . . and I've got a few caches out where I have stocked the cache with items worth $5 or more and I've asked folks to do an equal trade at those caches (i.e. take a $5 item, leave a $5 item.)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    and I've got a few caches out where I have stocked the cache with items worth $5 or more and I've asked folks to do an equal trade at those caches (i.e. take a $5 item, leave a $5 item.)
    How is that working out Jake? Are the cachers doing the equal trading?


    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    I hear you Bruce . . . these are the ones that I sometimes find difficult to write a comment about . . . although to be truthful I have been brought to some nice views from the road that I may not have noticed if it wasn't for the LPC or GRC . . . for example I can think of one of CacheMaine's dalmatian caches south of Belfast on Rt. 1 that offered a nice view of the coast.
    Thanks Jake, I'm glad you enjoyed the view.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    How is that working out Jake? Are the cachers doing the equal trading?
    Believe it or not . . . yes, so far most everyone has been following the equal trade stipulation. I did have one issue, but I believe it was a misunderstanding as the cachers put several items totaling $5 into the cache instead of a single item of $5 or more. I believe it was an honest mistake. To be quite honest I've been a bit surprised with people and their honesty.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Believe it or not . . . yes, so far most everyone has been following the equal trade stipulation. I did have one issue, but I believe it was a misunderstanding as the cachers put several items totaling $5 into the cache instead of a single item of $5 or more. I believe it was an honest mistake. To be quite honest I've been a bit surprised with people and their honesty.

    Heee, Heee - I got all the way to that cache before the lightbulb came on for the trade requirements - didn't have the anti so SL, enjoyed the cache and went on. It is nice this is working out.

    My Geocoin Emporium and Trading Post has had some bumps in the road but we will see what the summer brings. The one in New Brunswick Canada did not experience a problem. I think folks misunderstood and thought this was a regular hotel arrangement. It was not a TB hotel and I have tried to reword the listing so, from the beginning, it is clear.

    Anyone can visit but the trades are one for one on the trackables - or leaving one without taking one is fine too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •